The Advising Meeting
Preparing for your first appointment
As a student, you play an essential role in the academic advising process. It is your responsibility to monitor your academic progress and seek advising on a regular basis. Advisors can help you develop educational plans compatible with your career and life goals, and assist you in completing your chosen program quickly and successfully. To make the most of your advising sessions, you need to prepare for the sessions by taking the following steps:
Before Seeing Your Advisor:
- Set up an appointment with your advisor through University Division Advising (ED 1142, 812-465-1606) or your major department. It is a good idea to meet with an advisor every semester and to schedule your appointment early in the semester.
- Review your Degree Audit Report. Your Degree Audit Report explains your progress toward your degree. If you do not have a current copy of your report, you can access and print out this report through MyUSI.
- Write down any questions and concerns that you have about your Degree Audit Report, and bring these questions and your report to your advising session.
- Review your USI 2011 -2013 Bulletin. The Bulletin explains all of the university and departmental requirements for all degrees.
At Your Advising Session:
- Bring: your Degree Audit Report, the USI 2007-2009 Bulletin, your First Year Advising Handbook and your questions.
- Establish a target graduation date in consultation with your advisor.
- Work with your advisor to establish a program of study and an outline of the classes that you plan to take in the next 2 or 3 semesters.
- Ask any and all additional questions that you might have. Your advisor can help you best when you explain your academic/career goals and concerns.
- Keep notes from your advising meetings to remind you about what was discussed.
- Call us in University Division Advising with any questions you have.
- Take charge of your academic progress! Advising is an important tool, but you are ultimately responsible for your success.
University Division can help you achieve academic success!
USI Home |
| Events and News
8600 University Boulevard - Evansville, IN 47712-3596 - 812/464-8600
Copyright © 2013 University of Southern Indiana. All rights reserved.