University of Southern Indiana

Student Visas


Applying for an F-1 or J-1 Visa

Once you have been admitted to USI, we will send you a Form I-20 (for an F-1 student visa) or an IAP-66 Form (for a J-1 exchange visitor visa). It is important that you read this form carefully and that you understand your responsibilities as an international student in the U.S. when you sign the form. Please make sure your name is spelled the same way on the I-20 or IAP-66 form as it is in your passport.

After you receive the I-20 or IAP-66, you can begin making arrangements to obtain a student visa. Please check with the nearest American Embassy or Consulate regarding the procedure in your country; in some instances, you will need to make an appointment several weeks in advance or you may have to apply by mail. For further assistance with the application process and other information on studying in the U.S., you may also wish to contact an educational adviser at the advising center in your country (the U.S. Department of State web site has a listing of the 450 advising centers worldwide.)

You will need to present several documents to the visa officer at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate to obtain your student visa:

Checklist of documents needed to apply for an F-1 (Student) visa:

  • The complete I-20 form from USI. Please make sure that you have signed the form; do not separate the pages.
  • Proof that you have sufficient financial resources to support your studies in the U.S., including the documents you submitted to USI with your application (Official Statement of Finance, statements from your or your sponsor's bank, etc.)
  • Proof of your intention to return to your country after completing your degree program (for example, you have close family ties in your country or you plan to return to work in your family business or continue your professional career, etc.).
  • Visa fee

Checklist of documents needed to apply for a J-1 (Exchange Visitor) visa:

  • The complete IAP-66 form from USI or the sponsoring agency. Please complete the information on the back of the white page of the form; keep all copies together.
  • Documentation showing that you are an "exchange visitor", such as a- letter from your sponsoring agency or from USI, etc.
  • Visa fee

Students from Canada:
Canadian citizens do not need to obtain a visa; you must present the I-20 or the IAP-66 form and your proof of financial support upon your entry into the U.S. Please make sure that you provide these documents to the immigration officer at the border in order to enter the U.S. as a student; DO NOT enter the U.S. on a visitor (tourist) visa.

Contact Web Services


Send Email to