In individual counseling, students meet one-on-one with a professionally trained counselor to explore any personal problems or concerns. Sessions are typically 45-50 minutes long, once a week or every other week. Initial sessions focus on helping you to explore personal issues and helping us to understand your reasons for seeking assistance. If we feel that we can address your needs, you will be assigned to a counselor within our center. If, however, we feel that we cannot address your needs because they are beyond the role and/or scope of services available at the Counseling Center, an appropriate referral outside the Counseling Center will be provided.
Stop by the Counseling Center (OC 1051) or call us (812/464-1867) to schedule an appointment. Appointments must be made by the student and cannot be made by a family member or friend.
Are you looking for a place...
...you don't feel alone with your problems?
...you can receive support, as well as give support to others?
...you can hear what others would do if they were in your shoes?
If so, consider joining a Group!
Counseling groups are an excellent way to receive support and to grow from the experiences of others. While group topics vary by semester, they often focus on relationships, depression and anxiety, grief and loss, and coping with trauma.
Call 812/464-1867 or stop by OC 1051 to find out if one of our groups might be a good fit for you. Information/sign-up sessions will be scheduled soon!
In couples counseling, 2 students meet with a counselor to discuss issues impacting their relationship. To be eligible for couples counseling, both persons must be enrolled as USI students.
If you are concerned about your use of substances (alcohol or drugs), our substance use assessments are designed to help you think critically about your patterns of use and make good, informed choices. All assessments are done in a collaborative, supportive, and non-judgmental manner!
Our workshops and programs are designed to promote wellness and support a healthy campus climate. Topics often include stress management, forming healthy relationships, developing healthy eating patterns, and helping a friend in need. Please see our Outreach & Programming Guide for details about upcoming events as well as programs that can be requested by students, faculty, and staff. To request a program, please go to our Request a Presentation Page.
Feeling a high level of stress? If you need a place to just get away and center yourself for 20-30 minutes, come use our massage chair!
Students, parents, and university personnel can at times become concerned about a friend or loved one. When this occurs, we are happy to speak to you, give you support, and help you think through your options.
Like us on Facebook to stay up-to-date on our activities, get mental health information, and receive inspiring messages and quotes.
Back to top
Location: OC 1051
Hours: M-F, 8am-4:30pm
1/18: The Power Hour, @ the Multicultural Center (UC East), 12 - 1 pm
1/20: Sitting Meditation & Quiet Reflection, @ RFWC Reflection Room (309), 1:15 - 1:45 pm
1/27: Sitting Meditation & Quiet Reflection, @ RFWC Reflection Room (309), 1:15 - 1:45 pm
1/30: Stalking Awareness Month Information Table, @ UC East lobby, 11 am - 1 pm
1/31: University Divisions' Student Success Week
- Healthy Relationships: What They Do (and Don’t) Look Like, @ UC 2206, 10:30 – 11 am
- Five-Minute Meditation: Experiencing the Basics, @ UC 2207, 10:30 – 11 am
- Do You Like What You See in the Mirror? Having Healthy Body Image, @ UC 2206, 12:45 – 1:15 pm
- Justice for All: Taking a Personal Stand against Discrimination, @ UC 2207, 2:15 – 2:45 pm
- Is This Normal? Common Concerns of College Students, @ UC 2207, 3 – 3:30 p.m.
1/31: Trade Screening & Discussion, @ Mitchell Auditorium (HP 1002), 6 - 9 pm
2/1: Chai Chat, @ UC 2205, 12 - 1 pm
2/1: University Divisions' Student Success Week
- The Truth We Believe Becomes the Reality We See, @ UC 226, 11:45 am – 12:15 pm
- Healthy Relationships: What They Do (and Don’t) Look Like, @ UC 227, 12:30 – 1:00 pm
- The Truth We Believe Becomes the Reality We See, @ UC 226, 12:30 – 1:00 pm
- Check One - Male or Female: Beginning Discussions on Gender, @ UC 2217, 12:30 – 1:00 pm
- Just How “Post-Racial” Are We? Beginning Discussions on Race, @ UC 2218, 1:15 – 1:45 pm
- Developing Your Silver Linings Playbook: Strategies for Coping with Life’s Difficulties and Challenges, @ UC 2217, 2:00 – 2:30 pm
2/2: University Divisions' Student Success Week
- Assertive Communication: An Alternative to Fight or Flight, @ UC 2218, 10:30 – 11:00 am
- Gay, Straight, and Everything in Between: Beginning Discussions on LGBT Issues, @ UC 2218, 11:15 – 11:45 am
- Do You Like What You See in the Mirror? Having Healthy Body Image, @ UC 2218, 12:00 – 12:30 pm
2/3: Sitting Meditation & Quiet Reflection, @ RFWC Reflection Room (309), 1:15 - 1:45 pm
2/6 - 2/9: SGA Sexual Assault Awareness Week
2/10: Sitting Meditation & Quiet Reflection, @ RFWC Reflection Room (309), 1:15 - 1:45 pm
2/13 - 2/17: Diversity Awareness Week
2/17: Sitting Meditation & Quiet Reflection, @ RFWC Reflection Room (309), 1:15 - 1:45 pm
2/15: The Power Hour, @ the Multicultural Center (UC East), 12 - 1 pm
2/21: De-Stress Fest, @ RFWC Quiet Lounge, 3 - 5 pm
2/22: The Fat Talk, @ HRL Lobby Lounge, 5 - 6 pm
2/24: Sitting Meditation & Quiet Reflection, @ RFWC Reflection Room (309), 1:15 - 1:45 pm
2/27: Eating Disorders Awareness Month Information Table, @ UC East lobby, 11 am - 1 pm