Procedures for Scheduling Sign Language Interpreters
1. Sign up for your classes on the earliest day possible; since you qualify for “Selective Scheduling” you can do that on Day 1.
2. Fill out the Counseling Center’s “Request for Resources” form as soon as possible and list your preferred interpreters for each class; turn in a copy of your new schedule of classes with your “Request” form. We require you to submit your request for accommodations 60 days before the start of classes in order for us to be able to provide you with your requested accommodations. We may substitute accommodations in those situations for which we have not had adequate time and are unable to make arrangements for the accommodations of your choice.
3. Your USI counselor will send your interpreter request with a copy of your schedule to your VR counselor; USI will work with VR to determine payment and scheduling responsibilities.
4. Please let us know your preferred location for meeting interpreters the first week of classes so we can assist with the arrangements. If you do not give us your preference, we will instruct interpreters to meet you outside each classroom.
5. Submit a list of textbooks needed for your interpreters by the end of the first week of classes; we will provide one set of “extra” textbooks per class.
For Activities Outside the Classroom:
1. Submit your request for sign language interpreters for extracurricular activities to the USI department or individual faculty or staff person organizing the event, since they are responsible for ensuring the accessibility of that event.
2. If you are unable to determine the appropriate sponsor for an event, please contact the ADA Coordinator Doug Goeppner in Human Resources at 465-7101 using Relay Indiana services, or by e-mailing him at
For more information or assistance, please contact the Counseling Center at 812-464-1961 (voice) or 812-465-7072 (TTY).