For courses with an Internet-based component, you need an IBM or IBM-Compatible PC Pentium II or greater processor OR Macintosh Power PC-68040 or greater processor PLUS:
- 256 Megabytes of RAM (512 Megabytes recommended)
- 500 Megabytes of free hard disk space
- Graphics-based web browser that must be Java-enabled (Examples include MS Internet Explorer 6 or later, Netscape 7.1 or later, Firefox 1.5 or later.)
- Broadband Internet connection
- E-mail account provided to registered USI students through MyUSI.
- Sound card and speakers
- Some courses may require the use of technologies such as streaming audio and video or large file downloads requiring more processor power, more computer memory, and/or a high-speed internet connection for good performance.
- Check with the instructor regarding software preferences before making a software purchase.
- Please also review USI's Data Communication and Computer Use Policy at http://www.usi.edu/compctr/policy.asp.
It is possible that you will need to download software called plug-ins to access online course materials. The following is a listing of common FREE plug-ins and the Internet sites where they can be downloaded.
MyUSI is USI's web portal system that lets you access your Blackboard Course Sitesas well as many other online school services that you may use frequently. Both on-campus and distance education students registered at USI can use MyUSI. Both a username and password (PIN) are required.
Username: This is your official USI username. Your USI email address at MyUSI is your username followed by @eagles.usi.edu. If you already use a personal e-mail account, you should forward your USI email by following instructions on the MyUSI Website.
Password (PIN): This is a randomly generated 6-digit number assigned to you by USI. If you need assistance with your PIN, contact the Computer Center at 812/465-1080.
A MyUSI function called Self Service allows you to:
- View and/or update your addresses, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, next-of-kin information, and marital status.
- Access information regarding name and SSN changes.
- Display your class schedule, holds, grades, transcripts, and degree audit.
- Review your account summary. Review personal and general financial aid information.
- Pay your bill online.
Note: MyUSI is not available to non-USI students taking USI distance education courses via the ICN partnership.
Many distance education courses at USI utilize Blackboard, an Internet-based course management software. You can access your Blackboard course sites by logging in to MyUSI and clicking on the Blackboard link.
If you need assistance from Blackboard Support, send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Instructional Technology Services at 812/461-5389 or 800/813-4238 (outside Evansville). Support staff office hours are from 8:00am-4:30pm CT Monday through Friday.
Non-USI students taking USI courses delivered via Blackboard should contact the USI Learning Center at 800/813-4238 for assistance in gaining access to the course sites.