The Diversity Committee of the University of Southern Indiana was created in response to House Enrolled Act 1256, authorized by the 2007 Indiana General Assembly (IC-21-27-8-7) which requires that each public institution of higher education create a diversity committee to meet this legislative mandate. This committee is charged to:
- Review and recommend faculty employment policies.
- Review faculty and administration personnel complaints concerning diversity issues.
- Make recommendations to promote and maintain cultural diversity among faculty members.
- Make recommendations to promote recruitment and retention of minority students.
- Issue an annual report stating the findings, conclusions, and recommendations of the committee to the board.
The University’s existing Affirmative Action Committee was adapted to meet the requirements of IC 21-27-8-7.
- Define the University’s vision of diversity and recommend methods to integrate that vision with existing University policies and procedures
- Collect information on University programs and initiatives and community resources
- Review University employment policies and processes and recommend improvements intended to increase hiring of diverse candidates
- Review University complaint policies and processes concerning diversity issues and recommend improvements
- Review University programs and processes, developing recommendations as appropriate for improvements to existing programs and processes and for new programs and initiatives that promote recruitment and retention of diverse students, faculty and staff
- Recommend methods that increase awareness of the University’s commitment to diversity
- Assess University diversity training and communication needs and make recommendations
- Develop methods to assess the University’s diversity efforts
- Provide Annual Reports to the University’s Board of Trustees
Dr. Kirat Baath
Contract Assistant Professor of BiologyAssistant Professor of Medical and Molecular Genetics
Science Center 1274
Ms. Cynthia Brinker
Vice President for Government and University Relations
Byron C. Wright Administration Building 102B
Dr. Katherine Draughon
Executive Director of Planning, Research, and AssessmentAssociate Professor of Sociology
Byron C. Wright Administration Building 104E
Mr Douglas Goeppner
ADA CoordinatorAdjunct - Liberal ArtsEqual Opportunity Administrator
Forum Wing, Administration Building 183
Mrs. Pamela Hopson
Director of Multicultural Center
University Center East 1246
Dr. Ronald Rochon
ProvostProfessor of Education
Byron C. Wright Administration Building 103B
Dr. Marcia Kiessling
Associate Provost for Student Affairs
Byron C. Wright Administration Building 104A
Ms. Rose Scruggs
Electronic Services Coordinator
David L. Rice Library 3018
Dr. Joseph Uduehi
Associate Professor of Art Education
Arts Center 224
Diversity as Outlined by the USI Strategic Plan
Increase the diversity of faculty, staff, and student body.
- Develop activities and experiences that promote diversity as a value.
- Enhance support networks for faculty, staff, and students of diverse backgrounds, including first-generation status.
- Provide international programming for faculty and students.
To view the USI Strategic Plan in its entirety, click here.