University of Southern Indiana
Student Financial Assistance
Study Abroad

If you are participating in a USI approved study abroad program, you may still receive the financial assistance you have been awarded for that term. In most cases the amount of federal and state financial assistance you are eligible for does not increase for study abroad programs. Please visit the Office of Student Financial Assistance if you have questions about how your financial assistance will be affected by studying abroad.

State assistance must be approved by the Indiana Commission for Higher Education (CHE). Please advise the Office of Student Financial Assistance if you receive state grants and plan to study abroad.

All study abroad students who receive financial assistance will be required to provide an enrollment certification before your aid may be disbursed to your account. The form is available in the Center for International Programs, is completed by the foreign school you are attending and should be submitted to the Office of Student Financial Assistance for processing.

The Gilman Scholarship Program offers awards for undergraduate study abroad and was established by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000. This scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide. For more information about this scholarship and the deadlines please visit

There are other national and regional programs that offer scholarships for study abroad. Please visit the Center for International Programs website for more information on these programs.

You may also visit our Resources page for additional outside scholarship opportunities.

USI Home | Academics | Calendar | Athletics | Visitors | Events and News | Administration

8600 University Boulevard - Evansville, IN 47712-3596 - 812/464-8600

Copyright © 2014 University of Southern Indiana. All rights reserved.

Helpful Links