All students entering the University of Southern Indiana for the first time or living in University Housing must meet the immunization requirements of the University and Indiana Code 21-40-5 enacted by the 2007 Indiana General Assembly.
To comply with the requirements, you must provide current documentation of the following immunizations:
- MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella): The student must be immunized with two doses. First MMR must be given after 1957 and not before first birthday. Second dose must be given at least 30 days after the first. A physician’s written statement of immunity to measles and mumps due to having had the infection or proof of immunity through titers is acceptable. Students born before January 1, 1957 are exempt from the MMR requirement.
- Tetanus/diphtheria (TD booster/Tdap): Vaccination must have taken place within the past 10 years. A tetanus toxoid alone NOT ACCEPTABLE.
- Tuberculosis (International Students Only): All International students (those who are not Citizens or Permanent Residents of the United States) must provide documentation of TB testing prior to the start of their first semester of enrollment at USI. This testing must occur no earlier than 6 weeks before the start of the semester. This test may be done with a TB blood test or a TB skin test administered in the United States by a medical professional. Send medical documentation including your student ID number to the University Health Center (Contact information found below).
- Meningococcal Risk Acknowledgement Form (Meningitis): All students MUST read and sign this form verifying review of information on risks of meningococcal disease (Meningitis), before returning it. Please follow the link for the Risk Acknowledgement Form.
Acceptable documentation consists of one or more of the following:
- Copy of your immunization records from high school or another postsecondary institution
- Physicians’ statement showing the month, day and year during which the vaccinations were administered or infection was experienced.
- Completion of the USI Student Immunization form with doctor’s signature
- Personal record maintained by your or your family showing the month, day and year during which the vaccinations were administered.
You may be granted an exemption from meeting state immunization requirements under certain conditions, like a medical condition that contraindicates immunization, pregnancy or suspected pregnancy, religious objection, or participation in a current sequence of immunizations. You must provide the University with a written statement signed by your physician before an exemption for medical reasons will be considered. Further information may be obtained by contacting the University Health Center at 812-465-1250 or in Room 0091 in the Health Professions Center. Follow this link to access the Request to be Exempt from Immunization Requirements Form
Appropriate documentation concerning your request for exemption must be mailed, delivered or faxed to the University Health Center prior to the start of your first semester at USI.
- Fax 812-465-7170;
- Email to email@example.com;
- Brought to the University Health Center on the lower level of the HP building; or
- Mailed to University of Southern Indiana, Immunizations HP0091, 8600 University Blvd, Evansville, IN 47712.