University of Southern Indiana

Moving to Campus

For more information about living on campus, please see the 2016-17 Resident Handbook and Guide to Campus Living.

What should I bring to campus? 
What should I not bring to campus?

Do I need to pay for utilities? [Back to Top]
All costs for utilities (electric, Internet (high speed and wireless), water, basic expanded cable, trash/recycling) are included in student housing rates. The University pays these utilities as a convenience for the student. Residents who abuse this convenience by running the air conditioner with doors and windows open, leaving water running, not reporting water leaks, etc., may be charged the extra costs associated with this abuse or neglect. Residents also can face fines/disciplinary action for this behavior.

When can I move in? [Back to Top]
For the academic year beginning fall 2016, early check-in (for $25 per each additional day) is only available to those students who receive approval from Housing and Residence Life.  

Wednesday, August 17, 2016
Living Learning Community residents only can move in from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Thursday, August 18, 2016
Check-In for new housing residents

9 a.m.–3 p.m. Check-In at the Physical Activities Center

  • 9 a.m. Residents with last names between A-L may begin arriving
  • 12:30 p.m. Residents with last names between M-Z may begin arriving
  • 3 p.m.–Midnight Check-In at the Housing and Residence Life Center

Friday-Sunday, August 19-21, 2016
Check-in for returning residents*

9 a.m.– Midnight Check-In at Housing and Residence Life Center

*Includes new residents unable to move in Wednesday or Thursday

Have any of the buildings been renovated? [Back to Top]
Housing and Residence Life has been renovating apartment buildings in the summer.  All buildings in McDonald East have been renovated between years 2011 and 2015 and all buildings in O'Daniel South 2012 and 2015. Durbin and Hanly in McDonald West were renovated in 2012.

Can I move my belongings into my room before I move in? [Back to Top]

Can I bring my own furniture? [Back to Top]
All Housing and Residence Life facilities are considered fully furnished. Due to limited space in Housing, furniture may not be removed from student apartments or residence hall suites. Students will be charged a $25 fine/day for each piece of furniture that has been removed from the apartment/suite without authorization. Students may not bring their own furniture including beds, mattresses, couches, etc.

Do I have to purchase a meal plan? [Back to Top]
Students who will be living in the residence halls (Newman, Governors, O'Bannon or Ruston Hall) are required to choose between the Red, White, or Blue meal plans. Students not living in the residence halls have the option of purchasing a meal plan, but it is not required.

Is campus housing co-ed? [Back to Top]
Each suite in the residence halls and each apartment has four students of the same gender living in it. However, there could be residents of the opposite gender living in other suites in the hall or in other apartments in the same building.

What is an RA? [Back to Top]
A resident assistant (RA) is a student that has lived in housing and has chosen to work to help other residents. RAs are there to assist residents in solving any housing problems. They can assist residents with working out roommate conflicts,explaining housing policies and procedures, and providing general information to students. They are the ultimate resource for every student living in housing.

Do I have to live in university housing? [Back to Top]
No one is required to live in university housing at any time.

Are lofts allowed? [Back to Top]
Lofts and risers are prohibited in apartments and residence halls.

What kind of cable is in my room? [Back to Top]
USI provides cable TV to each room at no additional charge. It includes our own SETV which shows movies and also announcement of campus happenings.  A full listing of cable channels provided is available.

A cable outlet is located in the common area only in Newman and Governors.  In O'Bannon and Ruston there are cable outlets in the common area and bedrooms.  The apartments have cable outlets in the living room and bedrooms. Residents should bring their own cable cord.

Is there a phone in my room? [Back to Top]
Each room has a telephone jack that is designed for a specific phone type. Residents may not plug in their own phones. Residents who want a landline phone may contact Information Technology (812-465-1080) to request a phone. The phone and local service will be provided at no charge. Long distance service is available by paying additional fees.

Can I connect to the Internet from my room? [Back to Top]
USI provides wireless and wired internet access in housing.  For information on how to connect to both, please see Information Technology. Residents should bring their own ethernet cord.

Do I need to purchase property insurance? [Back to Top]
USI strongly advises that personal renter's insurance be purchased by students living in housing.  USI shall not be directly or indirectly liable for loss or theft of personal property, or for damage or destruction of such property by fire, water, or other causes.  Check your family's homeowner's insurance policy; college students living on campus may be covered.

Are pets allowed? [Back to Top]
Students are not allowed to have pets in campus housing.  Only small fish are allowed in both the residence halls and apartments. Aquariums must be 20 gallons or less.

Can I hang pictures in my room?[Back to Top]
Yes, residents are allowed to hang pictures and posters in their apartments and residence hall suites.  Housing and Residence Life strongly encourages residents to use Command Strips or small picture nails only. Large nails, staples, screws, wall anchors, poster putty, or tape on walls or doors inside or outside the apartment are prohibited. Residents who repair damage they have made to walls or the ceiling may still be subject to damage charges.

You may find more information about exterior and interior decoration guidelines in sections B.10.1 Exterior Decorations and B.10.2 Interior Decorations in the Student Rights and Responsibilities: A Code for Student Behavior.

What is the standard residence mattress size? [Back to Top]
Standard twin size beds are in all two bedroom/four person apartments and residence hall suites.  Full size beds are provided in single rooms in the apartments. Single rooms (wedge rooms) in the residence halls come with a single twin bed.

Are bed linens provided? [Back to Top]
Residents must provide their own linens.

Are blinds or curtains provided?[Back to Top]
Blinds are provided for windows in residence hall suites and apartments.  Blinds may not be removed. Curtains are allowed if hung using tension rods.  In the apartments there must be a one-foot clearance of the air conditioning unit so it can function properly.  Window dimensions can vary slightly from building to building so it is recommended you wait until after you move in to measure for curtains.

Are shower curtains provided? Towel racks?[Back to Top]
A shower curtain is provided in all apartment and residence hall suite bathrooms. There is also a towel rack in each bathroom.

Can I get a single room? [Back to Top]
Single bedrooms are available to students at a higher cost.  These rooms are on a first-come, first-served basis.

Do I need to bring cleaning supplies? [Back to Top]
Residents must provide their own cleaning supplies and are responsible for cleaning their own space as well as common areas in suites and apartments.

Do I need to bring light bulbs? [Back to Top]
If you need a florescent light bulb replaced, submit a work order.  Residents are responsible for replacing all other light bulbs. Housing and Residence Life is transitioning to LED bulbs. Residents may not replace LED bulbs with any other kind of bulb.  If your apartment/suite contains CFL bulbs, they contain mercury, the bulbs cannot be thrown away in the trash.  Retailers such has Home Depot or Lowe's offer in-store recycling of CFL bulbs.

Contact Housing and Residence Life


Send Email to