Campus Photo Campus Photo Campus Photo Campus Photo Campus Photo
Employment OpportunitiesEmployeeBenefitsCompensationResourcesPoliciesContact

Faculty, Staff, & Student Worker Accommodation Request Process


The process begins when a faculty member, staff member, or student worker communicates a request for an accommodation to his or her immediate supervisor.

  • A request for workplace accommodations may be verbal or written, and may use everyday language (illness, condition, help, changes, etc.) or “ADA language” (accommodation, disability, etc.)

Using input from the faculty member, staff member, or student worker, the supervisor identifies the workplace accommodation needs. The supervisor:

  • will discuss the needs with the individual who made the request, and

  • will review the job description and consider the essential functions of the job as well as the operational needs of the department

If the individual and the supervisor agree on an accommodation that is effective for the individual and appropriate for the work place, the accommodation(s) will be implemented.

  • Once the accommodation is in place, the supervisor, with input from the individual, will periodically monitor its effectiveness.

If a faculty member, staff member, or student worker is uncomfortable approaching the supervisor at any point in this process, or if an agreement cannot be reached between the individual and the supervisor, either party can contact Human Resources at 812-464-1770 for assistance.

  • If the accommodation need is complex or is not readily apparent, Human Resources may request the individual to provide documentation from their medical provider(s) to confirm the accommodation need and/or to provide recommendations for accommodations that may fit the individual’s specific needs.

  • Depending on the circumstances, Human Resources may consult with the Office of the ADA Coordinator to assist in evaluating the accommodation request and/or to identify accommodation options.

Still Have Questions?

For general questions about the ADA/Section 504, check out the Office of the ADA Coordinator: FAQs or contact the ADA Coordinator at 812-465-7101 or


ada events calendar


“If you have a disability for which you may require academic accommodations for this class, please register with Disability Resources (DR) as soon as possible. Students who have or who receive an accommodation letter from DR are encouraged to meet privately with course faculty to discuss the provisions of those accommodations as early in the semester as possible. To qualify for accommodation assistance, students must first register to use the disability resources in DR, Science Center Room 2206, 812-464-1961, http:// To help ensure that accommodations will be available when needed, students are encouraged to meet with course faculty at least 7 days prior to the actual need for the accommodation.”



The University department that manages academic accommodations for students with disabilities, Disability Resources, was recently located temporarily in the lower level of the Orr Center. Effective immediately, they have now permanently relocated to SC 2206; the old Pott College of Science, Engineering, and Education administrative offices. You can reach that department by telephone at 812-464-1961, and can obtain more information on the department by clicking on the "Disability Resources" link on the left side of this web page.