Small World Program
Conversation partners are American and international students interested in meeting to practice English and to broaden their horizons by learning more about each other. This program is a bridge between cultures, and quite often, long lasting friendships develop between conversation partners. Just what does a conversation partner do? An American student and an international student are paired together according to shared interests. The two then meet regularly to practice English-speaking skills and to share about each other’s culture. The benefits of the experience can be great!
- The international student is given the opportunity to meet an American student on a more personal level.
- The international student is given the chance to SPEAK ENGLISH and to hear English as it is spoken every day, including slang, idioms, etc.
- Learning about American culture is another benefit enjoyed by international participants.
- American students benefit by learning about another culture and becoming a friend to the international student.
- Participants develop a different perspective of their own country as well as other countries.
Becoming a conversation partner is easy!
- Complete an application form and return it to the CIP Office. To download the form, click here:
- Based on the information given on your application, you will be paired with a Partner.
- You will receive an e-mail with your partner's name and phone number and a brief description of some of his/her hobbies, activities, and interests. Usually, we ask the American partner to make the initial contact to set up the first face-to-face meeting.
Please be patient! It may take a couple of weeks for the office to match you with a Conversation Partner, depending on how many people apply for the program at any given time.