What’s important? What do graduate programs look for?
(from Couch & Benedict, 1983; Purdy, Reinehr & Swartz, 1989; Ford, 1994; Sengelaub, 1998)
Top Five Concerns –
|1 - Letters of Recommendation||A - Maintain continuous contact with your
B - Scout, sound out potential LOR writers
C - Ask in advance
D - Provide materials, including resume about 1 ½ months in advance
|2 - GRE - Verbal||Avg scores: Ph.D. about 600;
MS 530/540 (Average combined most looking for 1200 - remains to be seen on new scale.
|3 - GPA - Final 2 years|
|4 - GRE - Quantitative|| Avg scores: Ph.D. about 600;
|5 - GPA - Overall||Research experience – Research Methods, Individual Study|
Other: specific coursework, esp. Stats and RM (+ courses specific to your chosen field)
- Minor or second major
- Involvement in Honors program
- GRE – Subject test : often "strongly recommended"
- Statement of purpose on application form --looking for motivation and writing clarity!!
GRE Information General Test (Verbal, Quantitative, Analytical Writing)
|Prometric Testing Center
(same building as Sylvan)
Hebron Office Plaza
923 S. Kenmore Dr.
Evansville, IN 47714
Call the 800 number for scheduling
Note: You may do the essay portion on paper – if you do, your results will be mailed in 4-6 weeks. If you do it on the computer, your results will be mailed in 12 days.
Offered Mon – Fri at 8AM - 4:30PM, Saturdays 8AM - 12PM only
Before you arrive, select four programs you will be applying to: your scores will be forwarded to those programs as part of your $160 fee. Costs $23 each to send your universities beyond this.
Scores now range from 130-170 for Verbal and Quantitative; 0-6 for writing; percentile; You can take the test once every 60 days; maximum 5 times/yr. Scores are good for 5 years - schools receive all scores within the past five years. NO LONGER SENDS ALL SCORES AUTOMATICALLY! Score select option.
Registration for the GRE subject test:
NOTE: You can register online for the general test, however, you can only register for an 8AM slot.
The subject test is given three times each year – see dates below.
Click on "Test Takers"
You’ll need a credit card.
This page includes test dates
NOTE: Registration deadlines substantially precede test dates:
Subject Area (Psychology) – GRE
Info on test: http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about/content/psychology
Download free practice book: –please do not print in lab – it is 59 pages long! Includes a full test and tips.
- $140, Nearest test site: University of Evansville – if you get financial aid, check out fee waivers! Our students have not been able to register locally. Though http://www.ets.org/gre lists that U of E is a testing site. Sorry – you may still have to drive to Owensboro or Bloomington!
- Paper and pencil test
- Takes several weeks to score.
"Do I need to take the GRE Subject?"
- Yes, if you’re planning to apply to any programs that require it or even "strongly recommend" it.
- The Analytical Writing Assessment is now mandatory. This change went into effect October 2, 2002. There are sample tests available. You may type your answers or write them out. If you type your answers, you’ll get your score 3 to 4 weeks sooner.
To Which Programs Should You Apply?
Purchase a copy of the most recent version of Graduate Study in Psychology
it can be a bit cheaper online – do your own search - $17.55 from some sites.
Or purchase on-line from APA: It is cheaper for APA members 2013 affiliate price is $23.95 - http://www.apa.org/pubs/books/4270097.aspx The library has older copies you can look through.
Decide what area of Psychology you want to specialize in - clinical, cognitive, industrial, etc. as not all schools offer all of the programs that may interest you.
"Spread your bets" -- consider these in determining where to apply.
- What level do you wish to attain: Ph.D. vs. Psy.D. vs. M.S. (terminal vs.
Graduate students in research-oriented clinical PhD programs get better funding, different training and more internships than students who are in PsyD programs.GradPSYCH Magazine Article (September 2010)
- Program difficulty level/reputation
- Finances - RAs, TAs, tuition waivers, etc.
After thoroughly reviewing Graduate Study in Psychology, write to your selected programs for the most current info., including application forms and financial information.
Keep in touch with your advisor throughout the process!