The mission of the BSW Program is to prepare students with the knowledge, skills, and values for generalist practice with diverse populations and emerging social issues.
Students graduating from the program will possess a solid liberal arts foundation through the University Core Curriculum integrated with professional social work knowledge. The program educates generalist practice students on the 10 core competencies of Social Work practice. For the most recent findings for the past year see Assessment of Student Learning Objectives).
Students must complete the formal application process and be admitted into the program to be considered a Social Work major.
University Core Curriculum
All USI degrees require a minimum of 124 hours of coursework. In addition to the departmental degree requirements, a minimum of 50 hours in the University Core Curriculum must be met.
Social Work Major Curriculum
Prerequisites for admission to the Social Work program ~ 39 hours
- ENG 101 - Rhetoric and Composition, 3 hrs.
- PSY 201 - Intro to Psychology, 3 hrs.
- POLS 102 - Intro to American Politics, 3 hrs.
- BIOL 105 - Biology 105, 3 hrs.
- SOC 121 - Principles of Sociology, 3 hrs.
- SOC 231 - Social Problems, 3 hrs.
- MATH 100 - MATH 100 or higher, 3 hrs.
- PSY 261 - Lifespan Developmental Psychology, 3 hrs.
- One course from B1 or B2 or C4 of the University Core, 3 hrs.
- SOCW 221 - Introduction to Social Work , 3 hrs.
- SOCW 222 - Social Welfare - Emergence of the Social Services, 3 hrs.
- SOCW 239 - Human Behavior and the Social Environment, 3 hrs.
- SOCW 241 - Social Work Intervention, 3 hrs.
Once admitted to the program each student should schedule an appointment to meet with an assigned advisor and plan their course sequence. The program Check sheet and the Suggested Course Sequence are provided for planning and tracking your progress toward the degree.
Required courses ~ 39 hours
+++ Courses may be taken by approved Social Work majors only.
- SOCW 325 +++ Introduction to Social Work Statistics, 3 hrs.
- SOCW 326 +++ Introducation to Social Work Research, 3 hrs.
- SOCW 340 +++ Communications Skills Lab, 3 hrs.
- SOCW 341 +++ Social Welfare Policy - Program and Service Delivery Analysis, 3 hrs.
- SOCW 342 +++ Social Work Practice with Micro Systems I, 3 hrs.
- SOCW 343 +++ Social Work Practice with Micro Systems II, 3 hrs.
- SOCW 344 +++ Social Work Practice with Macro Systems, 3 hrs.
- SOCW 401 +++ Social Work Practicum I, 3 hrs.
- SOCW 402 +++ Social Work Practice I - Integration Seminar for Social Work
Practicum I, 3 hrs.
- SOCW 411 +++ Social Work Practicum II, 6 hrs.
- SOCW 412 +++ Social Work Practice II - Integration Seminar for Social Work
Practicum II, 3 hrs.
- SOCW 413 +++ BSW Project: Research Study, 3 hrs.
Suggested Four-Year Course Sequence
|It is the policy of the University of Southern Indiana to be in full compliance with all federal and state nondiscrimination and Equal Opportunity laws, orders, and regulations relating to race, sex, religion, handicap, age, national origin, sexual orientation, or veteran status, Questions or concerns should be directed to the Affirmative Action officer, USI Human Resources Dept., Orr Center Room# 012, University of Southern Indiana, 8600 University Boulevard, Evansville, IN 47712 (Telephone: 812/464-1815). Office hours are 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.|