Mission and Objectives
The mission of the University of Southern Indiana MSW Program is to prepare students with the knowledge, skills, and values for clinical social work practice with diverse populations and emerging social issues. We strive to produce professional social workers who promote growth and empowerment of clients in a dynamic multidimensional social context.
1. Educate generalist and advanced clinical practice students on the ten core competencies of social work practice.
- Integrate competency-driven learning throughout the MSW curriculum.
- Use technology to enhance course delivery and provide students with alternative curriculum options.
- Use current scholarship and best practices in assignments in the MSW curriculum.
- Use field trips, international programs, speakers, service learning, and forums to enrich student learning about diversity.
- Annually update curriculum and course content in response to evaluation feedback, changes in best practices, and community needs.
- Provide continuing education for alumni and the regional social work community.
- Use course exercises and assignments to promote student awareness of self as an instrument of change.
2. Use research as the foundation for discovering best practices in education and community engagement.
- Develop and carry out research focused on social justice in collaboration with the Center for Social Justice Education.
- Conduct regional needs assessments and program evaluations studies.
- Engage in and encourage multidisciplinary research with community partners.
- Partner with the College of Nursing and Health Profession’s Center for Healthy Aging to enhance USI’s position in gerontological education and research.
- Use exit surveys, alumni surveys, employer surveys, student focus groups, and benchmarking rubrics to monitor MSW program processes and outcomes.
3. Model and promote the ethic of service.
- Serve on boards, committees, and as members of regional organizations that support and promote the values of professional social work.
- Seek and respond to organizational and community service needs in the region.
- Sponsor student organizations that recognize academic excellence and promote student service.