Among the Scripps Howard Center for Media Studies' current outreach programs are High School Media Day and the annual communications symposium on social media.
As more students and more faculty contribute to the impetus of mass communication activity, the Center will continue to generate educational opportunities not only for USI students but also for media professionals, regional educators, middle school students and the general public.
The department is building a foundation for the digital future of communication education. Some of these additional objectives include:
- Sponsor of journalism, broadcast, advertising and public relations and communications studies advisory councils
- Graduate courses for high school media advisors
- A student-operated, youth-oriented news service for area media
- Student-run advertising and public relations agency
- Summer minority workshop for high school students
- Special diversity workshop
- Summer workshop for middle school reporters