Laptop and Tablet Lending and Wireless Access
Library laptops are reserved for current USI students. Faculty and staff should inquire about loaner laptops and tablets through their departments or IT.
- Laptops may be checked out at the Checkout Counter on the 1st floor of the Rice Library for a period of 4 hours with one renewal unless others are waiting to use a laptop. A current Eagle Access Card is required.
- Students are required to have a "signed responsibility form" on file before borrowing a laptop. The form will be kept on file for the Fall/Spring terms and through Summer terms if attending classes. Laptops are for use only within the Rice Library, one laptop per user.
- All files should be stored on a thumb drive or other medium prior to the return of the computer to the Checkout Counter. The library assumes no responsibility for files stored on the hard disk or the recovery of files accidentally left on the hard disk after the computer has been returned.
- Laptops must be returned to the checkout counter at least 15 minutes before the Library closes. This time is required to complete the check-in procedures. We prefer that the borrower wait until a library staff member checks the laptop. This could take a few minutes if staff is busy with another patron when you return the laptop.
- Laptops may not be reserved in advance.
- Fines will be assessed at a rate of $1.00 per minute per item (laptop checkouts consist of a minimum of 2 items) for an overdue laptop. Damage to the computer and its accessories, including spills from food or drink, will be assessed and charged accordingly. Damaged equipment remains the property of USI. The borrower is responsible for all charges and replacement costs should the laptop or any of its parts be lost or stolen while charged.
- If something is not working correctly, please report it when you return the laptop.
- Full replacement cost of the computer will be $2,500.00
Tablets are reserved for currently enrolled students. Faculty and staff should inquire about loaner tablets through their departments or IT.
Tablets may be checked out for 1 week, no renewals. They are on a first-come first-served basis and holds may not be placed on them. When a tablet is returned, the student must wait 24 hours before checking out another one. A tablet lending agreement must be completed at the start of each Fall semester and will be kept on file through the Spring term and Summer terms if enrolled. Tablets should not be placed into book drops, only returned at the checkout counter and handed to a staff member.
All tablets are wiped clean and reset to their original settings when returned so all personal information is removed.
When borrowing a tablet from the library the student must agree to the following:
- Accept full responsibility for the tablet and accessories while it is checked out.
- Not loan the tablet to anyone else, irrespective of his or her affiliation with USI.
- Will not tamper with the tablet hardware or software.
- Will abide by the USI Information Technology policy. http://www.usi.edu/compctr/policy.asp#data
- Agree to pay any overdue fees. $10.00 day.
- Immediately report any loss, damage, or malfunction of the tablet to library staff.
- Pay for any damage to the tablet and its accessories. Damaged equipment remains the property of USI. Cost will be assessed by Library IT staff.
- If you lose an iPad, replacement costs will apply. iPad $800.00, Adaptor $40.00, Case $50.00, plus a $20.00 non-refundable fee.
Rice Library reserves the right to refuse checkout for any reason including, but not limited to: abuse of checkout privileges, current or outstanding fines or overdue items.
The Rice Library is a wireless accessible building. Students who have personal laptops and mobile devices, may access the university's wireless network by first registering their devices by opening a web browser and following the instructions on the appropriate device. For more detailed information go to: http://www.usi.edu/it/internetwifi.