ABOUT THE LIBRARY
Laptop Lending and Wireless
Library laptops are reserved for USI students. Faculty and staff should inquire about loaner laptops through the Computer Center.
- Laptops may be checked out at the Checkout Counter on the 1st floor of the Rice Library. An Eagle Access Card is required.
- Students are required to have a "signed responsibility form" on file before borrowing a laptop. Each semester a new form will need to be completed before receipt of a laptop. Laptops are for use only within the Rice Library, one laptop per user.
- Laptops are loaned for a period of four hours, but one renewal period is allowed if others are not waiting to use a laptop. All files should be stored on a thumb drive or other medium prior to the return of the computer to the Checkout Counter. The library assumes no responsibility for files stored on hard disk or the recovery of files accidentally left on the hard disk after the computer has been returned.
- Laptops must be returned no later than one hour before the Library closes. This time is required to complete the check-in procedures to insure that users are not later charged for missing parts.
- Laptops must be returned to the Checkout Counter, and the borrower must wait until a library staff member checks the laptop. This could take a few minutes if library staff are busy with other patrons when you return the laptop.
- Laptops may not be reserved in advance.
- Fines will be assessed at a rate of $1.00 per minute per item (laptop checkouts consist of a minimum of 2 items) for an overdue laptop. Damage to the computer and its accessories, including spills from food or drink, will be assessed and charged accordingly. The borrower is responsible for all charges and replacement costs should the laptop or any of its parts be lost or stolen while charged.
- Full replacement cost of the computer will be $2,500.00
- The Rice Library is a wireless building. Students who have their own laptops, who want wireless, need to first register their computers in the Computer Lab in the basement of the Liberal Arts (LA) building.