Homecoming court - Top row from left: Blockley, Love, Broerman, Boyden, Dile, and Hooper; Bottom row from left: Daake, Arenas, David, Mason, Darden, and Maymon
Photo Credit: USI Photography Services
The University of Southern Indiana will kick off a week of spirit-oriented homecoming activities on February 4. This year’s theme, “The Varsity We Hail”, was selected from the University fight song.
The Screaming Eagles basketball teams will play the University of Wisconsin-Parkside Rangers in their homecoming games on Saturday, February 9, in the Physical Activities Center. The women’s team will play at 1 p.m., and the men’s team will play at 3:15 p.m.
The homecoming king and queen will be crowned at halftime of the men’s game. Members of the 2013 homecoming court are:
- Abbey Arenas, senior biology major from Waterloo, Illinois
- Caylin Blockley, senior public relations and advertising major from Troy, Illinois
- Lewis Boyden, senior advertising major from South Bend, Indiana
- Ethan Broerman, junior business management major from Evansville, Indiana
- Elizabeth Daake, sophomore biology major from Greenwood, Indiana
- Monique Darden, junior social work major from East Chicago, Indiana
- Vanessa David, senior public relations and advertising major from Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
- Andrew Dile, senior psychology major from Evansville, Indiana
- William Hooper IV, senior education major from Evansville, Indiana
- William Love, junior education major from Indianapolis, Indiana
- Laura Mason, senior Spanish major from Shelbyville, Indiana
- Kate Maymon, junior education major from Charlestown, Indiana
A student formal will follow the game in Carter Hall in University Center West from 8 to 11:30 p.m. Non-USI students are also welcome to attend this free event.
Alumni are invited to attend the various events of the day, including the Black Alumni Reception from 2 to 3 p.m. in Physical Activities Center Room 209 and the combined Alumni Homecoming Party and Greek Alumni Reunion from 5:30 to 7 p.m. in Physical Activities Center Room 200. Refreshments are being sponsored by the Black Alumni Society and Sodexo, respectively. Those planning to attend are asked to register online.
Leading up to the homecoming games, the week’s festivities will include many opportunities to show school spirit. Spirit and craziest fan competitions will reward outstanding demonstrations of USI pride. During USI Spirit Day on Thursday, February 7, students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to show their spirit by wearing red and blue or USI attire.
To purchase tickets to the homecoming games, contact USI Athletics at 812/465-7165 or order online. For more information about homecoming week festivities, visit the homecoming website, or contact the Activities Programming Board in the lower level of University Center East, Room 0250, at 812/464-1872. Questions about alumni events should be directed to the Alumni and Volunteer Services office by phone at 812/464-1924 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.