Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)– The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the executive departments and agencies of the Federal Government.
45 CFR§46 –45 CFR§46 applies to all research involving human subjects conducted, supported or otherwise subject to regulation by any federal department or agency which takes appropriate administrative action to make the policy applicable to such research.
The Belmont Report –Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjects of Research
Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP)
Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circulars – OMB establishes government-wide grants management policies and guidelines through circulars and common rules. These policies are adopted by each grantmaking agency and inserted into their federal regulations. The two circulars most pertinent to our financial accountability concerns are A-110 and A-21.
- OMB Circular A-21-Cost Principles for Educational Institutions
- This circular establishes principles for determining costs applicable to grants, contracts, and other agreements with educational institutions.
- OMB Circular A-110-Uniform Administrative Requirements for Grants and Other Agreements with Institutions of Higher Education, Hospitals and Other Nonprofit Organizations
- This circular sets forth standards for obtaining consistency and uniformity among Federal agencies in the administration of grants to and agreements with institutions of higher education, hospitals, and other non-profit organizations.
- OMB Circular A-133-Audits of States, Local Governments, and Nonprofit Organizations
- This OMB Circular establishes audit requirements for States, local governments, and non-profit organizations expending Federal awards.