University of Southern Indiana

Rules and Information

USI Veterans Support Services and the University Registrar are responsible for certifying and monitoring enrollment, academic progress, and other academic information. It is the responsibility of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to approve applications and to make decisions regarding payment, issuance of checks, and eligibility.

Please note that new applicants should expect a wait of approximately 8-10 weeks for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to process and send their first subsistence check. Beneficiaries who are renewing their benefits at the same school should expect a wait of approximately 4-6 weeks for U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to process and send their first subsistence check.

Important information regarding your educational benefits

Requesting Your Certification of Enrollment: To avoid delays in receiving benefits, the USI VA Certification of Enrollment should be submitted to USI Veterans Support Services prior to each semester. This form is available online and is submitted electronically using your myUSI login.

Continued Enrollment: It is the veteran's responsibility to notify USI Veterans Support Services concerning his/her continued enrollment by completing the USI VA Certification of Enrollment each academic semester. Failure to do so will cause the payment cycle to be broken.

Schedule Changes or Withdrawals: Any beneficiary who completes an add/drop or withdrawal must do so according to the official University process. Beneficiaries who revise their schedule or withdraw from the semester must also notify USI Veterans Support Services of the change, as it may have an adverse impact on their eligibility for benefits.

Active Military Duty: The Office of Veterans Support Services works closely with students who are called to active military duty. Depending on the timing of the deployment, students have several options available to them. (Active Duty Policy)

Military Credit: USI offers credit for time-in-service, specialized training, and experience in the U.S. Armed Forces. To be evaluated, students must provide a DD-214 or obtain their military transcripts online and have them sent to USI's Veterans Support Services office for evaluation. Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy: Active Duty, Reserve and Veterans may submit a Joint Service Transcript. Veterans of the Air Force submit transcripts from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF).

Transfer Credit: Students are REQUIRED to provide official transcripts of his/her academic work at other institutions to be evaluated to determine the number of transfer credits accepted by this University toward the student’s program of study/degree, and to have this information submitted to the Office of the Registrar for transmittal to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs regional office.

Enrollment as Progress Towards a Degree: All courses taken during a term for which you have been certified for VA benefits must apply toward your degree. Veterans can be charged with an overpayment for any courses taken which are not applicable toward their degree. If you are in doubt as to whether certain courses are required for your degree, please contact your academic advisor, your academic dean’s office, or the Office of the Registrar immediately as this could affect your VA Benefits.

Prerequisite Courses: VA beneficiaries required to take prerequisites not identified in the current Bulletin must have their departments provide this office with a list of prerequisite courses. Such a list should identify prerequisites by both course name and number. The VA may charge beneficiaries who fail to do this with an overpayment for taking courses not included in their program.

Courses Taken Under the Audit Option: Courses taken on an audit basis cannot be used in computing enrollment status. In order to permit certification of full-time status, undergraduate students must have 12 credit hours or more in A - F grade option, Pass/No-Pass option, or equivalent credit. When you report your enrollment status in Section 1, DO NOT include any courses taken under the audit option. If you report and are certified for courses taken under the audit option, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs can charge you with an overpayment.

Repeating Courses: Once a student has received a passing grade (D or better) in a course, he/she is typically no longer eligible for VA benefits for repeating that course. Exceptions can be made if the course requires a minimum grade for admission into a specific program of study.

Independent Study Courses: Veterans enrolling in independent study courses must notify the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and the University of Southern Indiana Office of the Registrar at the beginning of that term.

Graduate Enrollment: Graduate students who enroll in undergraduate courses may be paid at the undergraduate rate for those courses.

Changes of Address: All VA recipients must notify both the University (update via MyUSI) and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (888-442-4551) of any change of address.

Application for Degree: All VA recipients must apply for graduation by the end of their junior year. If you do not comply with this requirement, the Veterans' Support Services office may only certify your eligibility for VA benefits for one term until you have applied for your degree.


Do you still have questions regarding your benefits?

Should you need assistance with application/certification for VA educational benefits, please feel free to visit us in the Veterans' Support Services office, contact us via telephone, or e-mail (see below). For your records, please retain copies of all forms that you submit to Veterans' Support Services.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs V.A. Regional Office
P O Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830 

University of Southern Indiana Veterans' Support Services Education Center, Room 0114
8600 University Boulevard Evansville, IN 47712 

Call Toll-Free 888-442-4551

PHONE: 812-464-1857
FAX: 812-465-1663





Contact Joel Matherly
Send Email to