University of Southern Indiana
Fall or Spring Semester Withdrawal

A withdrawal is when you drop ALL courses for the semester/term.

If you add and/or drop classes but will still be enrolled in coursework the term, you'll complete a schedule revision. If you are enrolled in any special length courses that have already ended at the time you wish to withdraw, you must complete a schedule revision.

If you have any questions about what process to follow, the Registrar's Office for assistance.

Withdrawal from Fall or Spring

If you must withdraw from the semester/term, you must do so officially by the procedure outlined below. If you do not assume this responsibility, you may jeopardize your record with the possibility of incurring an "F" in a course not properly dropped. Merely not attending a course does not automatically remove the course from your record.

Students are responsible for their enrollment! Effective fall 2006, enrolled students must take action to drop/withdraw themselves from any classes. The University no longer cancels students' classes for failure to settle their account.

Refunds and Procedure
If you drop or withdraw from one or more full-semester courses through the first week of a fall or spring semester, you will receive a 100 percent credit; during the second week, a 75 percent credit. During the third week of the semester, a 50 percent credit; and during the fourth week, a 25 percent credit.* No refund will be made thereafter. Refund checks, if applicable, will be issued by the Bursar’s Office subsequent to the refund period. Refer to the refund schedule for specific dates.

  1. Through the first week of the semester (100 percent credit*): After early registration and through the first week of the semester, students may withdraw from all classes online via myUSI, using the Add or Drop Classes function (refer to the Schedule of Classes for Web registration details). Computer stations are also available in the Registrar's Office for students who need assistance with the withdrawal process. Students may also withdraw from the term in person at the Registrar's Office; only the student's signature is required.
  2. Beginning the second week of semester, through 4:30 p.m. on the last business day before final exams (75 percent credit or less*): Online withdrawals are not available beyond the first week of the semester*. Students may withdraw from the semester in person at the Registrar's Office by submitting a Withdrawal From All Classes form. The student’s signature is required, as well as the signature of the Academic Dean (or approved designee) from the college of the student's major. The student is responsible for securing the signature/approval requried to withdraw from the semester. Until all steps in the procedure have been completed, the student is still enrolled in their courses. A completed withdrawal form will also be accepted by fax to 812-464-1911 or scanned and emailed to .
  • Distance Education students (those enrolled in a USI course with a section number that starts with an 'N') who are unable to visit campus to obtain the required signature in person may obtain withdrawal approval via email. The Dean's office can send their approval to The email should include the student's full name, student ID#, and relevant course ID(s). The withdrawal form with the student's signature is still required.

Courses that have already ended cannot be dropped. Therefore, if the student is enrolled in any special length courses that have ended at the time they wish to withdraw, the student must complete a schedule revision form (with applicable signatures) instead of a withdrawal form.

No grades are recorded for classes when withdrawing prior to the second week of the semester*. A student who completes a Withdrawal From the Semester/term procedure beginning the second week of the semester through the ninth week of the semester* will receive the grade of W for all courses dropped. Students who complete the Withdrawal From the Semester/Term procedure during the 10th week of the semester* through the last day of classes preceding final exam week will receive the grade of "W" if passing at the time of withdrawal. However, if failing at the time of withdrawal, the student may receive a grade of "F".

Financial Aid
If a student receives financial aid but is unsure of the impact a Withdrawal From the Semester/Term will have on that financial aid, it is recommended that the student contact the Student Financial Assistance Office prior to the withdrawal. Students with a Stafford Loan must schedule an exit counseling session. Failure to complete the exit counseling session will prevent the release of the student’s academic transcript.

Additional Steps
If you live in University housing, contact the Residence Life office (O'Daniel North) to properly check out. If you have a meal plan, contact Food Services (UC lower level) to cancel your plan. If you owe money to the University, settle your account at the Cashier's window (OC lower level); an unpaid balance will prevent the release of your academic transcript.

* Courses meeting less than a complete semester have different drop/refund/grading dates. Refer to the refund schedule or contact the Registrar's Office with questions; 812-464-1762 or 800-467-1965 (#3). Online schedule changes or withdrawals for special length courses can only be processed through the course's 100 percent credit period (but no later than the first week of the semester, whichever comes first). Thereafter, students must submit the appropriate form to the Registrar's Office for processing.

Transactions must be completed by 4:30 p.m. on the final day of any registration, schedule revision, withdrawal, or refund period.

Contact Web Services
Send Email to