If you choose to drink, there are lots of ways you can be safer when you do:
- Set a limit of how much you're going to drink. Aim to keep your BAC in a reasonable area, which is about 0.05.
- Eat before and while you are drinking
- Alternate alcohol and non-alcoholic drinks
- Avoid drinking games
- Never leave your drink unattended
- Don't play sports or swim after drinking
- Avoid drinking on rooftops, cliffs, or by large open windows
- Choose a designated driver who will not drink at all
- Don't ever mix alcohol with prescription medications, some over-the-counter medications, or other drugs
- Make sure you have a safe way home. Use a Designated Driver who hasn't been drinking, call a sober friend, or take a Safe Ride if necessary.
Remember, the legal drinking age is 21. If you are under age 21, not drinking is your only safe option.