Specific Climbing Policies
CLIMBING IS DANGEROUS! Following these policies does not ensure safe climbing. Follow all instructions given by Climbing Center staff.
- Buddy checks are required; climber and belayer must check each other’s equipment before climbing.
- Climbing shoes are the only personal equipment allowed to be used in the Climbing Center.
- Climbing Center equipment must stay in the Climbing Center – this includes trips to the restrooms.
- Climbing shoes cannot be worn outside the Climbing Center. They will scuff the facility floors. If climbing shoes are not used, you must climb with approved closed-toe shoes. Climbing Center shoes must be worn with socks.
- Properly care for climbing equipment. Don’t step on ropes, drop or throw carabiners and belay devices, etc.
- Follow your rope to avoid excessive swinging. Keep the rope between your arms while climbing. Maintain awareness of where a fall will take you, keeping yourself in a position to fall, swing, lower, and land safely.
- Do not walk under climbers. Only walk behind belayers.
- All belayers must be anchored to the daisy chain ground anchors.
- Climbing without a rope is allowed on the bouldering wall only.
- Climbing on or hanging from the ceiling beam will result in loss of Climbing Center privileges.
- Spotters and crash pads are recommended when bouldering.