Many crimes occur in and around our homes. When you're at home, think about what you can do to make it a safer place.
- Lock your doors and windows. An open door is an invitation to be robbed.
- Check the lighting. Good outdoor lights deter crime.
- Turn the lights and TV or radio on.
- Close the blinds/curtains to prevent those outside from seeing in.
- Leave a spare key with a trusted friend or neighbor rather than leaving it under the doormat or over the door.
- Do not admit strangers into your home.
- If an unexpected person approaches your door, determine identification and/or intent before opening the door. You can even call to verify repairmen, police, and delivery persons.
- Get to know your neighbors. Good neighbors watch out for each other.
- Take a quick visual scan each time you return home. If anything looks out of place, call the police.