Campus is typically a safe place. However, there are lots of things you can do to help keep it that way for everyone.
- Lock your room/apartment even if you are just going out for a few minutes. Keep it locked when you are inside as well. Don't forget to lock the windows too.
- Don't prop doors open. Especially in Housing & Residence Life, these are closed for a reason!
- Use the "buddy system". Walk with others when possible.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. Avoid talking on the phone, texting, or listening to music when walking on campus, which all cause you to be distracted.
- Arrange for rides and/or use the USI Shuttle.
- Lock your car and lock up your bike.
- Know where your car is parked so you can go directly to it and always have your key out and ready.
- Get a Security Escort if you would like a little extra precaution.
- If you see something that looks out of place or suspicious, say something! You can call Public Safety or use one of the blue emergency phones.