Located on the northwest side of New Harmony, the Atheneum sits on a rise overlooking the Wabash River. The building houses an art gallery and is completely handicapped accessible. Gallery 1 is used for formal sit-down dinners and receptions. The capacity for a formal dinner is 50; an hors d'oeuvres reception, 175. The surrounding grounds may be used for receptions with canopy tents placed on the lawns. For current rental fees please contact Historic New Harmony at firstname.lastname@example.org or 812-682-4488.
Thrall's Opera House
Formerly known as Rooming House 4, this building originally served as a community house for the single men in Father George Rapp's communal society. After the Harmonists sold New Harmony to Robert Owen, it became a community building where lectures, dances, and other social activities were held. It became known as the Union Hall in 1859 when it was purchased by the Dramatic Association and became the second largest theater and ballroom in Indiana.
Eugene S. Thrall bought and improved the building in 1888, adding the front facade, cherry paneling, arches over the windows and door, and a curved balcony. Serving primarily as a theatre until 1910, the structure was turned into a gas station in 1914. Double doors were installed in front to accommodate cars, the backstage area served as a grease pit, and the balcony was used as auto parts storage. Purchased by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources in 1964, the structure underwent major renovations.
Today, Thrall's Opera House hosts weddings, lectures, musical programs, small conferences, and balls. A grand piano sits on the deep stage in the main room. Dressing rooms are located behind the stage, with restrooms located off the lobby. There is no kitchen facility. The building is handicapped accessible, but there are no handicapped restrooms. The capacity for Thrall's Opera House is 200 theater-style and 100 banquet-style. For current rental fees please contact Historic New Harmony at email@example.com or 812-682-4488.
Murphy Auditorium was built in 1913 as a library and lecture hall. The building is named for New Harmony resident Dr. William Murphy, who willed his fortune to the Workingman's Institute, which developed Murphy Auditorium. Murphy Auditorium hosts the local spelling bee, ballet performances, and a variety of lectures, in addition to the summer productions of The New Harmony Theatre. The auditorium has a capacity for 427. A building manager is on duty to run the lighting and sound system. Restrooms are located off the lobby. Renovations which are currently underway will make the auditorium handicapped accessible in Summer 2000.
Murphy Auditorium is not available for rent from June through August. The rental fee for Murphy Auditorium is $200 per day ($100 not-for-profit fee).
1775 Double Log Cabin
The double log cabin was a popular style on the American frontier. Originally located on what is now Indiana Highway 68, the 1775 Double Log Cabin was home to the Grayson and Bailey families. One side of the cabin was used as a kitchen/living area; the other side was used for sleeping. The middle porch, known as a dog trot, was located between the two rooms.
Used for small meetings and conferences, each room of the 1775 Double Log Cabin has a capacity of 15. For current rental fees please contact Historic New Harmony at firstname.lastname@example.org or 812-682-4488.
John Beal House
English carpenter John Beal built this house in 1829 out of materials from an old Harmonist horse barn. Beal House has two rooms available for rental. With a capacity of 15 per room, this building is used for informal meetings. For current rental fees please contact Historic New Harmony at email@example.com or 812-682-4488.
8600 University Boulevard - Evansville, IN 47712-3596 - 812/464-8600
Copyright © 2015 University of Southern Indiana. All rights reserved.