Mathematics Proficiency Examination
- The mathematics component of the University Core Curriculum may be met by a variety of mathematics courses, including a general education course entitled Survey of Mathematics (MATH 108). It may also be met by successful completion of a proficiency exam. Students wishing to inquire about the exam should contact the Department of Mathematics in the Pott College of Science, Engineering,
and Education at (812) 465-1689.
NOTE: Students passing the proficiency exam will be exempted from the math requirement but will not earn academic credit hours. To achieve the minimum 50 hours required for the UCC, they may choose additional courses from any UCC category.
- You may take this exam only once. In order to take this proficiency examination, you must:
- Pre-register in person or by phone in the Academic Skills Office (ED 1111) one (1) week in advance of the exam date. Be sure to emphasize that you wish to take the math proficiency exam, rather than the math placement exam.
NOTE: It is recommended that you take the math placement exam before you take the math proficiency exam. The results of the placement exam will be helpful in determining whether your mathematics background is sufficient to make taking the proficiency exam worthwhile.
- Pay the fee at the Cashier's window in the lower level of the Orr Center
in advance of the exam. This fee is non-refundable.
- Bring your receipt with you to the exam. It will be your admissions ticket.
- Bring a picture I.D. to the exam. This will be checked by the exam proctor.
- Bring a calculator with an xy key (or with the capability of raising numbers to powers) with you to the exam. Without your calculator, you will be unable to work several problems. Graphing calculators are not allowed.
- You will be notified of the exam results by mail within one week of the examination. The letter will be sent to the address listed in the Registrar's Office. The results of the examination will also be available in the Department of Mathematics one week after the exam is administered. These results will not be relayed by phone. If you wish to receive your results orally, you will have to come to the Department of Mathematics in the
Pott College of Science, Engineering, and Education in person, with picture I.D.
Fee: $25.00 (Non-refundable)
Exam Date and Time: Contact Academic Skills to schedule
Place: Academic Skills Office - ED 1111
Sample Exam Questions
USI Home |
| Events and News
8600 University Boulevard - Evansville, IN 47712-3596 - 812/464-8600
Copyright © 2013 University of Southern Indiana. All rights reserved.