The INSTAR list selects recent, exemplary science trade books aligned to Indiana science indicators and utilizes nine criteria to evaluate books.
1. The book has substantial science content;
2. Information is clear, accurate, and up to date;
3. Theories and facts are clearly distinguished;
4. Facts are not oversimplified to the point where the information is misleading;
5. Generalizations are supported by facts and significant facts are not omitted;
6. Books are free of gender, ethnic, and socioeconomic bias;
7. Information can be connected to an Indiana Core Standard in Science for grades K-6;
8. Books are readily available in public libraries or bookstores; and
9. Books have received at least one positive review in one of the identified professional journals:
We welcome, and would very much appreciate, nominations as we begin to compile a list for next year. For more information, professional development, or inquiries please feel free to contact us.
University of Southern Indiana
Pott College of Science, Engineering, and Education
Evansville, IN 47712