Posey County FLL Sponsorship Program
Thanks to the Posey County Community Foundation, the SwISTEM Resource Center is offering the FIRST LEGO League Sponsorship Program for the 2014 FIRST LEGO League season! Teams from any organization servicing children ages 9-14 living in Posey County, Indiana are eligible to apply.
FIRST LEGO League (FLL) is an exciting alliance between FIRST and the LEGO® Group. It’s a robotics program for 9 to 14 year olds, which is designed to get children excited about science and technology -- and teach them valuable employment and life skills. Teams of up to 10 kids program an autonomous robot (using a LEGO MINDSTORMS® robot set) to score points on a thematic playing surface, create an innovative solution to a problem as part of their Project, all while guided by the FLL Core Values. These three elements - the Robot Game, Project, and FLL Core Values - make up what we call our yearly Challenge.
Check out the photos from the 2013 USI FLL Qualifying Tournament!
Each of the five (5) teams selected for this sponsorship program will receive the following:
- One (1) LEGO Mindstorms EV3 Core Set ($433)
- Robot Training Academy for coaches and team members (five, half-day sessions at USI during summer 2014--date to be determined)
- FLL Field Kit ($75)
- National FLL Team Registration ($225)
- USI FLL Qualifying Tournament Registration ($45)
- Use of practice table during FLL build season
Each team selected must provide the following:
- One (1) adult coach to support the team throughout the FLL season (May through December) and attend the Robot Training Academy during the summer of 2014 (Date TBD but likely in July). Teams usually meet one (1) or two (2) times per week for six (6) to eight (8) weeks.
- Location to house practice table and hold team practices
- One (1) team of up to ten (10) 9-14 year olds eager to participate in the FLL program.
- Dedication and commitment to participating in the 2014 USI FIRST LEGO Leage Qualifying Tournament in November 2014.
- Completion of a pre-program survey and post-program survey
FIRST LEGO League Sponsorship Program Timeline:
- January 30--Sponsorship Applications Due
- February 2014--Sponsorship Teams will be announced
- May 2014--National FLL Team Registration/Robot Delivery
- July 2014--USI Robot Training Academy (1 week, 1/2 day camp for teams and coaches)
- September 2014--Mission and Field Kits released by National FLL. Field kits will be ordered and dispersed to teams.
- September through November 2014--Build Season and Project Work
- October 2014--USI FLL Qualifying Tournament Registration
- November 2014--USI FLL Qualifying Tournament
- December 2014--Indiana State FLL Tournament (for those teams who qualify)
To apply for the FIRST LEGO League Sponsorship Program:
- Form your team. You need one (1) coach and up to ten (10) 9-14 year olds that love robots, love LEGOS, love to have a great time, and would love to learn how to program!
- Collect the following information for each team member.
- First Name
- Last Name
- Coaches, click here and complete the sponosorship application.
- Remember, if you have any questions, you can always contact Allison Grabert at firstname.lastname@example.org or 812/228-5019.
**Note: Teams representing girls and underrepresented minorities are encouraged to be formed!