Educational Leadership Program
School Administrative Leadership (SAL)
The object of the field experience is to give the student opportunities for contact with the mentor principal, facility, classified personnel, students, parents, and other members of the school community.
The principal mentor works with the student to design suitable activities over the course of the semester that would help expand the student's view of the Principalship. Activities must cover all six principal standards as outlined in the course syllabus. Each activity need not necessarily cover all six standards. However all six standards must be covered during the course of the field experience. A minimum of 16 hours experience is required during the semester. It is expected that, over the course of the semester, students will spend more than 16 minimum hours.
Suggested activities for the field experience might include:
- Regular sessions with the principal mentor to discuss "issues of the day" or other topics of the mentor's choosing (i.e. job description, things every principal should know, teacher evaluation, etc.)
- Present at a faculty meeting
- Observe a faculty meeting and discuss the group/organization dynamics with the mentor principal
- Observe student discipline
- Review and/or revise student handbook
- Review and/or revise staff handbook
- Observe principal in a parent conference
- Chair a committee
- Observe principal/teacher conference if appropriate
- Meetings with other administrators in the building and/or district
- Supervise/observe after-school activity
- Attend a board meeting
- Attend a district meeting of administrators and superintendent
- Assist in designing class schedules
- Attend area principal meeting
- Attend/Observe/Present at parent advisory group meetings (e.g. PTA, PTO, etc.)
The student should not count activities that he/she does during the normal course of duties (e.g. bus supervision, committee work, etc.). These activities could count if the student's assignment is not already a part of the student's duties. (For example, time spent in departmental meetings in which the student teaches should not count. However if the student is assigned to observe the departmental meetings of another department it could count toward the field experience. Also committee work could count if the committee is not one the student/teacher would normally work on).
Questions regarding the field experience may be directed to Mr. R. Mark Ashby at 812-461-5250; Teacher Education 812-465-1290 or to the professor for EDUC 681, 683, 686, or 688 (internship)
USI Home |
| Events and News
8600 University Boulevard - Evansville, IN 47712-3596 - 812/464-8600
Copyright © 2013 University of Southern Indiana. All rights reserved.