USI has adopted five learning outcomes of Service Learning for our students:
- Enhanced civic and democratic engagement
- Recognize one's civic responsibility.
- Develop a richer sense of what it means to be in community.
- Enhanced capacity for difference/change making
- Recognize that one can make a difference.
- Envision the future and the ability to find the resources to create that future.
- Enhanced learning through disciplined reflection
- More profound understanding of discipline-based knowledge/skills.
- Ability to apply what is learned in class - increase skills and knowledge.
- Greater comfort/skills in working with diverse groups and environments
- Gained largely through immersion in the local context.
- Enhanced sense of belonging to the USI community
- Students gain a greater sense of belonging to the USI community.
Click on the links below to download calendars of current and past co-curricular projects.
Each semester, USI offers a variety of service learning courses for academic credit. Courses integrate community service, faculty instruction, and structured reflection.
For a list of past and current credit-based courses, click on the links below.