September 23, 2002
USI is 15th after first regional tournament
The University of Southern Indiana menís golf team placed 15th in the NCAA Division II Great Lakes Region Fall Tournament over the weekend at Blackberry Patch Golf Course in Coldwater, Michigan. The fall tournament is the first of three Great Lakes Region tournaments that rank teams for possible selection to the NCAA Division II Super-Regional next spring.
The Screaming Eagles had a strong opening round, shooting a team 309 and tying for eighth. The second round saw USI hit it into the rough with a squad total of 319 and drop the Eagles to 15th in the standings with a two-day 628.
Junior Zach Smith (Evansville, Indiana) led the Eagles with a two-day 153 (75-78), tying for 19th as an individual. Smith was followed by senior Tim Garner (Martinsville, Indiana) who had a two-round total of 157 (76-81) and tied for 36th.
The Eagles will finish the fall schedule with their home tournament, the USI Invitational, at Helfrich Hills Golf Course Monday and Tuesday, September 30 and October 1. USI has cancelled its trip to the Ohio Valley Invitational that was scheduled for Friday and Saturday, October 11-12.
1. Grand Valley State     293-304-597
2. Indianapolis           305-304-609
3. Northwood              315-296-611
4. Ferris State           300-312-612
5. Saginaw Valley State   316-297-613
7. Wisconsin-Parkside     309-309-618
8. Gannon                 314-306-620
9. Lewis                  312-310-622
10. Quincy                 304-319-623
11. Missouri-St. Louis     315-309-624
12. Findlay                321-306-627
Wayne State            307-320-627
Northern Kentucky      320-307-627
15. Southern Indiana       309-319-628
Lake Superior State    314-314-628
17. Mercyhurst             307-322-629
19. St. Joseph's           333-304-637
20. Hillsdale              329-322-651
21. Kentucky Wesleyan      337-WD-DNF
USI Individuals (Par 72):
Zach Smith     75-78-153
Tim Garner     76-81-157
Andy Skodinski 77-82-159
Ryan Overby    81-78-159
Nathan Wolf    84-84-168