April 02, 2002
USI menís tennis wins at Bellarmine
Davis moves closer to all-time singles record
The University of Southern Indiana menís tennis team raised its record to 7-3 overall and a perfect 3-0 in the Great Lakes Valley Conference with a 7-2 win at Bellarmine University Tuesday afternoon. The Eagles will continue GLVC action at the USI Tennis Courts Friday, April 5, when they host Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. Match time is 3 p.m.
USI senior Ethan Davis (Sullivan, Indiana) pulled to within one victory of the all-time USI record in singles play with the 72nd victory of his career. He is one shy of Jeremy Richieís record of 73 wins that was set last year.
Davis, 8-0 at number five singles this spring, is 12-6 overall and 3-0 in the GLVC in 2001-02. The business administration major has averaged 19 or more victories a season as a collegiate.
#40 University of Southern Indiana 7, @ Bellarmine University 2
1. Brandon Campbell (BU) def. Paulus Halim (USI) 3-6, 6-4 (11-9)*
2. Weston Phillips (USI) def. Josh Huff (BU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Chris Crawford (USI) def. Stuart Distler (BU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Bhavesh Chadda (USI) def. Taylor Broughton (BU) 6-4, 2-1 (retired)
5. Ethan Davis (USI) def. Drew Fairhurst (BU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Daniel Halim (USI) def. Marc Gerard (BU) Default
*Score in parenthesis is a tie-breaker game, win by two
1. Huff/Distler (BU) def. Phillips/Chris McCreight (USI) 8-4
2. P. Halim/Crawford (USI) won by default
3. Chadda/Davis (USI) won by default
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information