April 06, 2002
USI defeats UMSL and Quincy to remain undefeated
Davis sets USI all-time singles record
The University of Southern Indiana tennis team raised its record to 10-3 overall and a perfect 6-0 in the Great Lakes Valley Conference with an 5-3 win over the University of Missouri-St. Louis and a 9-0 victory over Quincy University at the USI Tennis Courts Friday afternoon.
The Eagles have two GLVC dual matches left and a chance to have their fourth perfect GLVC regular season in five years. USI has lost a grand total of two dual matches to GLVC teams since 1998.
The squad will finish the 2002 GLVC schedule with Saint Joseph’s College Friday, April 12, and Lewis University Saturday, April 13, at the USI Tennis Courts. The Eagles will try for their four consecutive GLVC Tournament championship in Indianapolis Friday and Saturday, April 19-20.
In the victory over Quincy, senior number-five player Ethan Davis (Sullivan, Indiana) set the all-time USI record for singles wins with the 74th of his four-year career. He broke Jeremy Richie’s record, who set the mark of 73 last season.
For the spring, Davis is tied for the lead on the team with a 14-7 overall singles record, 5-1 in the GLVC.
The next action for the Eagles will be Monday, April 8, at Georgetown College (Ky.). The next home match at the USI Tennis Courts will be Thursday, April 11, against Indiana University Southeast.
Southern Indiana 5, Missouri-St. Louis 3
1. Paulus Halim (USI) def. Martin Kardos (UMSL) 6-3, 6-3
2. Westen Phillips (USI) def. Josef Clark (UMSL) 7-6, 6-4
3. Chris Crawford (USI) vs. Matt Vaulkhard (UMSL) 7-5, 3-4 DNF
4. Bhavesh Chadda (USI) def. Ryan Trela (UMSL) 6-3, 6-1
5. Mario Gruden (UMSL) def. Ethan Davis (USI) 6-0, 7-5
6. Martin Damm (UMSL) def. Daniel Halim (USI) 6-1, 7-5
1. P. Halim/Crawford (USI) def. Clark/Vaulkhard (UMSL) 8-4
2. Chadda/Davis (USI) def. Trela/T.J. Schaefer (UMSL) 8-3
3. Kardos/Gruden (UMSL) def. Phillips/Chris McCreight (USI) 8-5
Southern Indiana 9, Quincy 0
1. Paulus Halim (USI) def. Scott Radecki (QU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Weston Phillips (USI) def. Jonathan Miller (QU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Chris Crawford (USI) def. Dave Fuhrig (QU) 7-5, 6-0
4. Bhavesh Chadda (USI) def. Zach Miller (QU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Ethan Davis (USI) def. Bill Brooks (QU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Daniel Halim (USI) def. Chris Rhyne (QU) 6-0, 6-0
1. P. Halim/Crawford (USI) def. Radecki/Brooks (QU) 8-3
2. Chadda/Davis (USI) def. Fuhrig/Z. Miller (QU) 8-4
3. Phillips/Chris McCreight (USI) def. J. Miller/Rhyne (QU) 8-0
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information