April 19, 2002
USI menís tennis to play for fourth straight title
USI vs. UMSL for the championship on Saturday
The University of Southern Indiana tennis team will be seeking its fourth straight Great Lakes Valley Conference Tournament Championship when it plays the University of Missouri-St. Louis Saturday, April 20. The Screaming Eagles, 13-3 in 2001-02, defeated Quincy University, 5-1, and the University of Indianapolis, 5-2, to advance to the GLVC finals.
UMSL advanced to Saturdayís final by defeating Lewis University, 6-0, and Northern Kentucky University, 5-3.
USI seniors Ethan Davis (Sullivan, Indiana) and Chris Crawford (Jeffersonville, Indiana) will be looking to become the first USI menís tennis players to be a part of four GLVC Championship squads. During their four seasons, the Eagles are 45-1 against GLVC opponents.
The GLVC Championship also will be the perfect ending of USI Head Coach Jon Mark Hallís career at USI. Hall, USIís Athletic Director, is stepping down after six seasons at helm and having led the program to four regular season championships and possibly four tournament championships.
Hallís Eagles are 57-2 against the GLVC since 1998.
The GLVC Tournament is being played at North Central High School in Indianapolis, Indiana.
#1 Southern Indiana 5, #8 Quincy 1
1. Weston Phillips (SI) d. David Fuhrig (Q) 6-0, 6-1
4. Ethan Davis (SI) d. Jonathon Miller (Q) 6-1, 6-2
6. Chris McCreight (SI) d. Chris Rhyne (Q) 6-0, 6-0
1. Bill Brooks-Scott Radecki (Q) d. Chris Crawford-Paulis Halim (SI) 9-8
2. Bhavesh Chadda-Ethan Davis (SI) d. David Fuhrig-Zach Miller (Q) 8-3
3. Chris McCreight-Weston Phillips (SI) d. Jonathan Miller-Chris Rhyne (Q) 8-6
#1 Southern Indiana 5, #4 Indianapolis 2
1. R.B. Hervey (I) d. Paulus Halim (SI) 6-3, 7-5
4. Bhavesh Chadda (SI) d. Ryan VanDonselaar (I) 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
5. Ethan Davis (SI) d. Scooter DeMare (I) 6-0, 6-1
6. Daniel Halim (SI) d. Justin Brown (I) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
1. Paulus Halim/Chris Crawford (SI) d. R.B. Hervey/Marko Saulovic (I) 8-4
2. Ethan Davis/Bhavesh Chadda (SI) d. Justin Brown/Scooter DeMare (I) 8-0
3. Ryan VanDonselaar/Brandon Cook (I) d. Weston Phillips/Chris McCreight (SI) 8-4
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information