April 20, 2002
USI men’s tennis takes fourth straight GLVC crown
Eagles await word on NCAA II Tournament berth
For the fourth straight year, the USI Screaming Eagles men’s tennis team drove to Indianapolis for the Great Lakes Valley Conference Tournament and drove home with four straight GLVC titles. The Screaming Eagles, 15-3 overall, defeated the University of Missouri-St. Louis, 5-2, at North Central High School in Indianapolis Saturday afternoon.
The Eagles have won the last four GLVC titles and compiled a record of 47-1 against GLVC teams in the last four seasons. USI went into the GLVC Tournament after posting its fourth perfect regular season in five seasons.
USI Head Coach Jon Mark Hall, in his final GLVC match, will go out on top with the league title. Hall has led the Eagles to four GLVC regular season championships and four GLVC titles in six seasons. He also has a six-year mark of 122-46 (.726).
“We lost our top three guys after last season and everyone thought this would be the year they would get us,” said Hall. “This championship is a tribute to how hard the team worked to show that we were a team to be reckoned with.”
Hopefully, Hall will finish his tenure as the Eagles coach in the team’s third straight NCAA II Tournament. The NCAA will announce tournament pairings Wednesday, April 24. USI was ranked fourth regionally in the last poll.
#1 Southern Indiana 5, #2 Missouri-St. Louis 2
1. Paulus Halim (SI) d. Martin Kardos (UMSL) 6-4, 6-3
2. Weston Phillips (SI) d. Josef Clark (UMSL) 6-1, 6-4
5. Ethan Davis (SI) d. Ryan Trela (UMSL) 6-3,6-0
6. Martin Damm (UMSL) d. Daniel Halim (SI) 6-3,6-0
1. Chris Crawford-Paulis Halim (SI) d. Josef Clark/Martin Kardos (UMSL) 8-4
2. Mario Gruden/Matt Vaulkhard (UMSL)d. Bhavesh Chadda-Ethan Davis (SI) 8-1
3. Chris McCreight-Weston Phillips (SI) d. Martin Damm/T.J. Schaefer (UMSL) 8-2
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information Director