May 03, 2002
USI menís tennis gets first win in NCAA Tournament action
Screaming Eagles defeat Shepherd, 5-0
The University of Southern Indiana menís tennis team took a giant step forward with its first ever NCAA Division II Tournament win, defeating Shepherd College, 5-0, at the Great Lakes Regional in Midland, Michigan, Friday morning. USIís record goes to 16-3 overall.
The Screaming Eagles, who also advance to the NCAA II final 32 for the first time in menís tennis, will play Northwood University Saturday, May 4, at 9 a.m. (CT) for the right to go to the NCAA Division II Finals in Kansas City, Missouri. The top 16 teams will meet on May 9-12 to determine the NCAA Division II National Championship.
Northwood, the regional host, advanced by defeating Northern Kentucky University, 5-0.
USI Head Coach Jon Mark Hall said, ďThe team was really focused on getting the first NCAA Tournament win and be the first team to advance. The players took a lot of energy and intensity into the matches this morning and were glad to advance.Ē
NCAA DIVISION II TOURNAMENT (First Round)
#2 Southern Indiana 5, #3 Shepherd 0
2. Weston Phillips (SI) d. Tim Halter (SC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Chris Crawford (SI) d. Mike Farrell (SC) 6-4, 6-0
1. Chris Crawford-Paulis Halim (SI) d. Thomas Bohrnstedt-Mike Farrell (SC) 8-5
2. Bhavesh Chadda-Ethan Davis (SI) d. Greg Selby-Tim Halter (SC) 8-4
3. Chris McCreight-Weston Phillips (SI) d. Scott Eyler-Wray Sherman (SC) 8-3
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information