April 08, 2003
USI menís tennis remains perfect in the GLVC
University of Southern Indiana 5, Bellarmine University 4
The University of Southern Indiana menís tennis team remained perfect in the Great Lakes Valley Conference with a 5-4 victory over Bellarmine University Tuesday afternoon at the USI Tennis Courts. USI raises its record to 8-6 overall and 6-0 in the GLVC.
The Screaming Eagles started the match in a hole, losing two of the three doubles matches. Bouncing back in singles, USI recorded a victory in each of the first four slots to earn a 5-4 victory. Senior number one player Paulus Halim clinched the match for the Eagles with a three-set victory. Halim, who combined with his brother Daniel Halim for USIís only doubles win, was joined in singles wins by junior number two Weston Phillips, senior number three Bhavesh Chadda, and junior number four Daniel Halim.
The Eagles will be back in action Wednesday, April 9, when they host Indiana University-Southeast at the USI Tennis Courts. Start time is 4:30 p.m.
1. Paulus Halim (USI) def. Phillip Merrill (BU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. Weston Phillips (USI) def. Stuart Distler (BU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Bhavesh Chadda (USI) def. Brandon Campbell (BU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Daniel Halim (USI) def. Josh Huff (BU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Taylor Broughton (BU) def. Chris McCreight (USI) 6-4, 6-0
6. Drew Fairhurst (BU) def. Evan Luttrell (USI) 6-0, 7-6 (7-5)
1. P. Halim/D. Halim (USI) def. Campbell/Huff (BU) 8-5
2. Merrill/Broughton (BU) def. Chadda/Phillips (USI) 9-7
3. Distler/Fairhurst (BU) def. McCreight/Luttrell (USI) 9-8 (7-5)
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information