April 11, 2003
USI menís tennis falls for the first time in the GLVC
University of Indianapolis 5, @University of Southern Indiana 4
The University of Southern Indiana menís tennis team suffered its first defeat in the Great Lakes Valley Conference this spring, dropping a 5-4 decision to the University of Indianapolis Friday afternoon at the USI Tennis Courts. USI falls to 8-7 overall and 6-1 in the GLVC.
The match came down to the third set of number one singles. Indianapolisí Ross Johnson defeated USIís Paulus Halim 6-4 in the third set after splitting the first two. Johnson won the first set 6-1 with Halim battling back to win the second, 7-5. The Screaming Eagles split the six singles matches, but were only able to win one of the three doubles matches.
The Eagles will resume GLVC action Saturday, April 12, at the USI Tennis Courts when they host Northern Kentucky University. The Norse entered Fridayís action at Bellarmine University as the other unbeaten team in the GLVC. The Eagles could still finish the conference schedule as the number one seed if they can defeat NKU on Saturday.
Match time on Saturday is 10 a.m.
1. Ross Johnson (UI) def. Paulus Halim (USI) 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
2. Weston Phillips (USI) def. Marko Saulovic (UI) 6-4, 6-3
3. Bhavesh Chadda (USI) def. Dustin Guthrie (UI) 6-3, 6-0
4. Daniel Halim (USI) def. Justin Linder (UI) 6-1, 6-0
5. Brandon Cook (UI) def. Chris McCreight (USI) 6-4, 6-3
6. Chris Symmes (UI) def. Evan Luttrell (USI) 6-3, 6-3
1. Johnson/Saulovic def. P. Halim/D. Halim (USI) 8-5
2. Chadda/Phillips (USI) def. Symmes/Linder (UI) 8-1
3. Cook/Guthrie (UI) def. McCreight/Ryan Hughes (USI) 9-7
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information