April 19, 2003
USI falls in GLVC Championship Match
The University of Southern Indiana menís tennis team had its string of consecutive Great Lakes Valley Conference titles stopped at four with a 5-2 loss to Northern Kentucky University Saturday afternoon at the conference tournament championship match in Indianapolis, Indiana. USIís record goes to 10-9 overall this spring.
The Eagles started well in the championship match, taking a 2-1 lead after the doubles matches. USI, however, could not hold the lead, losing four of five singles matches to be completed. The Eaglesí squad has appeared in the last six GLVC Championship matches.
USI had advanced to the championship match by defeating Quincy University, 5-0, and avenging one of its two conference regular season losses by defeating the University of Indianapolis, 5-1, on Friday afternoon.
The Eagles were ranked sixth in the last NCAA Division II Great Lakes Regional poll, now awaits word on a third straight trip to the national tournament. The tournament selections will be announced Monday, April 21. The first and second rounds of the NCAA II Tournament will be Friday through Sunday, May 2-4.
Southern Indiana 5, Quincy 0
1. Paulus Halim/Daniel Halim (USI) def. Zach Miller/David Fuhrig, 8-3
2. Bhavesh Chadda/Weston Phillips (USI) def. Bill Brooks/Scott Radecki, 8-4
3. Ryan Hughes/Chris McCreight (USI) def. Jonathon Miller/Steven Ross, 8-6
1. Paulus Halim (USI) def. David Fuhrig, 6-0, 6-2
4. Ryan Hughes (USI) def. Bill Brooks, 6-0 6-1
Southern Indiana 5, Indianapolis 1
1. Marko Saulovic/Ross Johnson (UI) def. Paulus Halim/Daniel Halim, 9-7
2. Bhavesh Chadda/Weston Phillips (USI) def. Justin Linder/Chris Symmes, 8-0
3. Ryan Hughes/Chris McCreight (USI) def. Brandon Cook/Dustin Guthrie, 9-7
1. Paulus Halim (USI) def. Ross Johnson, 6-0, 6-4
3. Bhavesh Chadda (USI) def. Justin Linder, 6-0, 6-2
5. Daniel Halim (USI) def. Brandon Cook, 6-1, 6-3
GLVC CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Northern Kentucky 5, Southern Indiana 2
1. Amine Benjelloun/Billy Hopkins (NKU) def. Paulus Halim/Daniel Halim, 8-5
2. Bhavesh Chadda/Weston Phillips (USI) def. Jon Peters/Chris Robertson, 8-4
3. Ted Walkup/Nick Herzog (NKU) def. Ryan Hughes/Chris McCreight, 9-7
2. Weston Phillips (USI) def. Chris Robertson, 6-1, 6-3
4. Billy Hopkins (NKU) def. Ryan Hughes, 6-2, 6-2
5. Ted Walkup (NKU) def. Daniel Halim, 6-2, 2-6, 7-5
6. Jon Peters (NKU) def. Chris McCreight, 6-2, 6-3
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information