May 01, 2003
Third time not the charm for USI menís tennis
The third time was not the charm as the University of Southern Indiana menís tennis team lost to Northern Kentucky University, 5-4, in the first round of the NCAA Division II Tournament Thursday afternoon in Midland, Michigan. The Screaming Eagles, who were making their fourth straight appearance in the NCAA II Tournament, finish the year with a 10-10 overall record.
The key to the match came in the doubles matches. Senior Bhavesh Chadda (India) and junior Weston Phillips (Henderson, Kentucky) picked up USIís only doubles win, 8-3. Senior Paulus Halim and junior Daniel Halim (Indonesia) led off with an 8-5 loss at number one doubles, while freshman Ryan Hughes (England) and sophomore Chris McCreight (Jeffersonville, Indiana) lost a close 9-8 match at number three.
In the singles matches, Phillips continued to roll with a 6-2, 7-6 victory at number two. Hughes and McCreight joined Phillips in picking up wins in singles play.
Paulis Halim lost a tight match in two sets, 7-6 and 7-5, at number one singles, while Daniel lost at number five, 7-6 and 6-4. Chadda, who had defeated NKUís Nick Herzog in the regular season, had the tables turned on Thursday, losing 6-3 and 6-4.
1. Amine Benjelloun (NKU) def. Paulus Halim (USI) 7-6, 7-5
2. Weston Phillips (USI) def. Chris Robertson (NKU) 6-2, 7-6
3. Nick Herzog (NKU) def. Bhavesh Chadda (USI) 6-3, 6-4
4. Ryan Huges (USI) def. Billy Hopkins (NKU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Ted Walkup (NKU) def. Daniel Halim (USI) 7-6, 6-4
6. Chris McCreight (USI) def. Jon Peters (NKU) 6-4, 6-3
1. Benjelloun/Hopkins (NKU) def. P. Halim/D. Halim (USI) 8-5
2. Chadda/Phillips (USI) def. Robertson/Peters (NKU) 8-3
3. Herzog/Walkup (NKU) def. Hughes/McCreight (USI) 9-8
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information