February 22, 2004
USI menís tennis falls to Tennessee-Martin
Evansville, IN Ė The University of Southern Indiana menís tennis team dropped a 5-4 decision to the University of Tennessee-Martin at Advantage Court and Fitness Saturday evening. The Eagles fall to 2-2 in 2003-04.
Swept down 3-0 after doubles play, the Screaming Eagles nearly came back to win in singles action, winning four of six matches. Freshman Joe Epkey (Greenwood, Indiana), junior Nim Shetty (India), junior Ryan Hughes (England), and junior Evan Luttrell (Logansport, Indiana) all picked up wins in singles play.
The next action for the Eagles will be Friday, February 27, when they travel to DePauw University to play neutral site match with Wayne State University. USI will finish the road trip to DePauw by playing the Tigers and the Illinois Wesleyan University on Saturday, February 28.
Tennessee-Martin 5, Southern Indiana 4
1. Adolfo Anzola-Gustavo Anzola (UTM) def.
Ryan Hughes-Nim Shetty (USI) 9-8
2. Daniel McGuire-Oltion Mollaymeri (UTM) def.
Joe Epkey-Kyle Taylor (USI) 8-2
3. Ben Hatchwell-Lucas Tregansin (UTM) def.
Evan Luttrell-Weston Phillips (USI) 8-5
1. McGuire (UTM) def. Phillips (USI) 6-3, 6-2
2. Epkey (USI) def. Mollaymeri (UTM) 7-5, 6-1
3. Shetty (USI) def. Tregansin (UTM) 6-1, 6-2
4. Hughes (USI) def. A. Anzola (UTM) 7-6, 7-5
5. Hatchwell (UTM) def. Taylor (USI) 6-1, 6-3
6. Luttrell (USI) def. William Taylor (UTM) 6-3, 7-6 (4)
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information