April 02, 2004
USI menís tennis defeats SJC 8-1
The University of Southern Indiana menís tennis team remained perfect in the GLVC with a 8-1 victory over Saint Josephís College Friday afternoon at the USI Tennis Courts. The Screaming Eagles raised their record to 9-5 overall and 4-0 in the GLVC, while SJC fell to 16-10 overall, 1-3 GLVC.
The Eagles took control early by winning all three of the doubles matches. Freshman Joe Epkey (Greenwood, Indiana) and junior Kyle Taylor (Veedersburg, Indiana) combined to win 8-0 at number two doubles, while the teams of sophomore Ryan Hughes (England) and junior Nim Shetty (India) and senior Weston Phillips (Henderson, Indiana) and junior Shaun Skelton (Evansville, Indiana) won 8-1 at number one and three doubles, respectively.
In singles action, the Eagles won five of the six matches. Phillips, USI number two in singles, won his 14th singles match of the season and needs just three victories to pass Ethan Davis, USIís all-time leader in singles wins. Davis recorded 79 singles victories between 1998 and 2002.
The Eagles resume GLVC action Saturday morning, April 3, when they host Lewis University for a 9 a.m. match at the USI Tennis Courts.
1. Ryan Hughes/Nim Shetty (USI) def.
†††† Tom Ruth/Kyle Marburger (SJC) 8-1
2. Joe Epkey/Kyle Taylor (USI) def.
†††† John Simon/Walter Mannino (SJC) 8-0
3. Weston Phillips/Shaun Skelton (USI) def.
†††† Nate Burton/Eric Johanning (SJC) 8-1
1. Epkey (USI) def. Marburger (SJC) 6-3, 6-1
2. Phillips (USI) def. Kitchell (SJC) 6-1, 6-3
3. Shetty (USI) def. Simon (SJC)6-1, 6-1
4. Taylor (USI) def. Hendrickson (SJC) 6-0, 6-1
5. Luttrell (USI) def. Burton (SJC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Johanning (SJC) def. Coby Botha (USI) 6-4, 1-6 (10-8)
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information