April 03, 2004
USI menís tennis defeats Lewis University 9-0
The University of Southern Indiana menís tennis team remained perfect in the GLVC with a 9-0 victory over Lewis University Saturday morning at the USI Tennis Courts. The Screaming Eagles raised their record to 9-5 overall and 5-0 in the GLVC, while LU falls to 3-9 overall, 0-5 GLVC.
The Eagles took control early by winning all three of the doubles matches. USI number one doubles sophomore Ryan Hughes (England) and junior Nim Shetty (India) and number two doubles freshman Joe Epkey (Greenwood, Indiana) and junior Kyle Taylor (Veedersburg, Indiana) each posted 8-1 victories. Number three doubles senior Weston Phillips (Henderson, Indiana) and junior Sam Tucker (Evansville, Indiana) won 8-5.
In singles action, the Eagles won all six matches. Phillips, at number two singles, won his 15th singles match of the season and needs just two victories to pass Ethan Davis, USIís all-time leader in singles wins. Davis recorded 79 singles victories between 1998 and 2002.
The Eagles will close the conference season with three road matches against three of the top five teams in the GLVC. USI will travel to Bellarmine University Tuesday, April 6 and conclude the regular season at the University of Indianapolis Friday, April 9, and at Northern Kentucky University Saturday, April 10.
USI then will start the conference tournament play in Indianapolis on April 16-17 at North Central High School.
1. Ryan Hughes/Nim Shetty (USI) def. Beau Mega/Joey Byers (LU) 8-1
2. Joe Epkey/Kyle Taylor (USI) def. John OíNeill/Matt Moyzis (LU) 8-1
3. Weston Phillips/Sam Tucker (USI) def. Kevin Kolb/Ted Nguyen (LU) 8-5
1. Epkey (USI) def. Mega (LU) 6-0, Default
2. Phillips (USI) def. Byers (LU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Shetty (USI) def. OíNeill (LU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Taylor (USI) def. Moyzis (LU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Luttrell (USI) def. Kolb (LU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Scott Foster (USI) def. Nguyen (LU) 6-1, 7-5