April 09, 2004
USI menís tennis falls in match of the unbeatens
In a match of the unbeatens in the GLVC, the University of Southern Indiana menís tennis team fell to Northern Kentucky University, 7-2, in Highland Heights, Kentucky, Saturday afternoon. USI falls to 11-5 overall and 6-1 in the GLVC, while NKU goes to 12-3, 7-0 GLVC.
The Norse took control in the doubles matches, winning two of three, before winning five of six singles matches. USI freshman Joe Epkey (Greenwood, Indiana) won at number one singles, 7-6 (3), 6-2, and combined with junior Kyle Taylor (Veedersburg, Indiana) for a victory at number two doubles, 8-5.
USI will conclude the regular season at the University of Indianapolis Saturday, April 10. The Eagles and the Greyhounds, who are 8-14 overall and 6-1 GLVC will be playing to be the number two seed in next weekendís GLVC Tournament in Indianapolis (April 16-17).
Northern Kentucky 7, Southern Indiana 2
1. Joe Epkey (USI) def. Amine Benjelloun (NKU) 7-6 (3), 6-2
2. Oliver Marinkovic (NKU) def. Weston Phillips (USI) 6-4, 6-3
3. Marek Pawelec (NKU) def. Nim Shetty (USI) 7-6 (6), 6-3, 7-6 (7)
4. Nick Herzog (NKU) def. Ryan Hughes (USI) 6-2, 6-2
5. Billy Hopkins (NKU) def. Kyle Taylor (USI) 6-2, 7-5
6. Ted Walkup (NKU) def. Evan Luttrell (USI) 6-0, 6-0
1. Benjelloun/Hopkins (NKU) def. Hughes/Shetty (USI) 8-6
2. Epkey/Taylor (USI) def. Herzog/Marinkovic (NKU) 8-5
3. Pawelec/Walkup (NKU) def. Phillips/Luttrell (USI) 8-6
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information