April 10, 2004
USI men’s tennis takes number two seed with win at Indianapolis
Indianapolis, IN – The University of Southern Indiana men’s tennis team clinched the number two seed in the upcoming GLVC Tournament with a 7-2 victory on the road at the University of Indianapolis Saturday afternoon. USI raises its record to 12-6 overall and 7-1 in the GLVC, while Indianapolis falls 8-15 overall, 6-2 GLVC.
The victory also was special for USI senior Weston Phillips (Henderson, Kentucky). Phillips became the all-time USI leader in singles victories with 80. He passes Ethan Davis, who had 79 between 1998 and 2002.
The Eagles led 2-1 after the doubles round with number two doubles – freshman Joe Epkey (Greenwood, Indiana) and junior Kyle Taylor (Veedersburg, Indiana) – and number three doubles – Phillips and junior Evan Luttrell (Logansport, Indiana) – won 8-3 and 8-4, respectively.
USI also dominated in the singles arena, winning five of the six matches. Epkey finished his first regular season with a team-best 18-6 overall and a perfect 7-0 in the GLVC.
The Eagles will return to Indianapolis for the GLVC Tournament Friday and Saturday, April 16-17.
Southern Indiana 7, Indianapolis 2
1. Joe Epkey (USI) def. Ross Johnson (UI) 7-6 (6), 4-6, 6-3
2. Nim Shetty (USI) def. Dustin Guthrie (UI) 6-1, 6-1
3. Weston Phillips (USI) def. Ketan Saggar (UI) 6-3, 6-2
4. Ryan Hughes (USI) def. Justin Linder (UI) 6-2, 6-0
5. Evan Luttrell (USI) def. Felipe Rojas (UI) 6-4, 6-4
6. Alan Dowell (UI) def. Kyle Taylor (USI) 6-0, 6-3
1. Johnson/Guthrie def. Hughes/Shetty (USI) 8-5
2. Epkey/Taylor (USI) def. Linder/Rojas (UI) 8-3
3. Phillips/Luttrell (USI) def. Saggar/Dowell (UI) 8-4
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information