April 16, 2004
Eagles advance to GLVC Championship match
USI plays championship match for seventh straight year
Indianapolis, IN – The University of Southern Indiana men’s tennis team will play in the GLVC Championship match for the seventh straight year after defeating Saint Joseph’s College, 5-1, and the University of Missouri-St. Louis, 5-0, Friday at North Central High School in Indianapolis, Indiana. The Screaming Eagles, the number two seed, raised its overall record to 14-6 overall.
Northern Kentucky University will be USI opponent in the championship match. The number-one seeded Norse defeated Quincy University, 6-0, and Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, 5-1. USI, which lost to NKU, 7-2, in the regular season, will be playing NKU in the championship match for the second straight year.
The championship is schedule for 9 a.m. Saturday, April 17, at North Central High School in Indianapolis. The Eagles are in search of their fifth GLVC championship since 1999.
The Eagles were led on Friday by the GLVC Freshman of the Year Joe Epkey (Greenwood, Indiana). Epkey won a pair of matches at number one singles and combined with junior Kyle Taylor (Veedersburg, Indiana) to win a pair of matches at number two doubles. The All-GLVC performer raises his record to 20-6 in singles and 20-7 in doubles with Taylor and fellow All-GLVC performer, senior Weston Phillips (Henderson, Kentucky).
Phillips, who was named to the All-GLVC team for the third straight season, combined with junior Evan Luttrell (Logansport, Indiana) at number three doubles to win a pair of matches on the Friday. Phillips did not have to finish a match at number two singles on Friday.
Phillips, who is USI all-time leader in singles victories, will be playing in his fourth straight conference championship match as an Eagle.
2004 All-GLVC Team
Joe Epkey, University of Southern Indiana
Weston Phillips, University of Southern Indiana
Brandon Campbell, Bellarmine University
Jake Kirts, Bellarmine University
Phillip Merrill, Bellarmine University
Amine Benjelloun, Northern Kentucky University
Oliver Marinkovic, Northern Kentucky University
Zach Miller, Quincy University
Tom Ruth, Saint Joseph’s College
Matt Warner, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Ross Johnson, University of Indianapolis
Matt Vaulkhard, University of Missouri – St. Louis
#2 Southern Indiana 5, #7 Saint Joseph's 1
1. Kyle Marburger/Tom Ruth (SJ) d. Ryan Hughes/Nim Shetty (USI), 9-8 (3)
2. Joe Epkey/Kyle Taylor (USI) d. Walter Mannino/John Simon (SJ), 8-0
3. Evan Luttrell/Weston Phillips (USI) d. Ryan Hendrickson/Dru Kitchell (SJ), 8-0
1. Joe Epkey (USI) d. Tom Ruth (SJ), 3-1, retired
3. Nim Shetty (USI) d. Kyle Marburger (SJ), 6-0, 6-4
5. Evan Luttrell (USI) d. John Simon (SJ), 6-2, 6-2
#1 Northern Kentucky 6, #8 Quincy 0
1. Amine Benjelloun/Billy Hopkins (NK) d. David Fuhrig/Zach Miller (Q), 9-8
2. Nick Herzog/Oliver Marinkovic (NK) d. Andy Fink/Trent Terwelp (Q), 8-1
3. Marek Pawelec/Ted Walkup (NK) d. Brightman/Sheffer (Q), 8-4
1. Amine Benjelloun (NK) d. David Fuhrig (Q), 6-4, 6-0
4. Nick Herzog (NK) d. Andy Fink (Q), 6-1, 6-1
6. Ronnie Pedro (NK) d. Trent Terwelp (Q), 6-0, 6-0
#4 SIU Edwardsville 5, Bellarmine 1
1. Jacob Kirts/Phillip Merrill (B) d. Justin Free/Matthew Warner (S), 8-2
2. Daniel Lipe/Chris Rigdon (S) d. William Logan/Randy Pike (B), 8-4
3. Doug Kummer/Andy Renner (S) d. Brandon Campbell/John Esterle (B), 8-3
4. Andy Renner (S) d. Randy Pike (B), 6-1, 6-4
5. Chris Rigdon (S) d. William Logan (B), 6-0, 6-1
6. Doug Kummer (S) d. John Esterle (B), 6-1, 6-0
#6 Missouri-St. Louis 5, #3 Indianapolis 3
1. Dustin Guthrie/Ross Johnson (I) d. Francis Lam/Rajan Saini (SL), 8-0
2. Stephen Pobst/Mike Schaaf (SL) d. Justin Linder/Felipe Rojas (I), 8-2
3. James Daugherty/Matt Vaulkhard (SL)