May 07, 2004
Eagles fall to conference nemesis in NCAA first round
NKU defeats USI 5-1
MIDLAND, Mich. – The fourth seeded Northern Kentucky Norse earned a 5-1 victory over fifth seeded Southern Indiana in the opener of the NCAA Division II men’s tennis tournament Friday afternoon. The match was held at the Gerstacker Courts on the campus of Northwood University.
The Norse took a 2-1 lead after posting victories at number one and number two doubles to open the day. USI earned its only point of the match at number three doubles — senior Weston Phillips and junior Evan Luttrell – to cut the Norse lead to 2-1. Northern Kentucky then posted three straight-set wins in singles (3, 5, 6) to earn the 5-1 victory.
USI, which was making its fifth straight appearance in the NCAA II Tournament, finishes the 2003-04 season with a 14-8 overall record.
USI freshman Joe Epkey
in doubles action
NCAA Men’s Tennis Tournament
Southern Indiana vs Northern Kentucky
May 6, 2004 at Midland, Michigan
#4 Northern Kentucky 5, #5 Southern Indiana 1
3. Marek Pawelec (NKU) def. Nim Shetty (USI) 6-2, 6-1
5. Billy Hopkins (NKU) def. Kyle Taylor (USI) 6-2, 6-3
6. Ted Walkup (NKU) def. Evan Luttrell (USI) 6-3, 6-2
1. Amine Benjelloun/Billy Hopkins (NKU) def. Ryan Hughes/Nim Shetty (USI) 8-5
2. Oliver Marinkovic/Nick Herzog (NKU) def. Joe Epkey/Kyle Taylor (USI) 8-6
3. Evan Luttrell/Weston Phillips (USI) def. Marek Pawelec/Ted Walkup (NKU) 8-6