April 27, 2001
USI women’s tennis closes season with 7-2 route of McKendree
The University of Southern Indiana women’s tennis team closed out its 2000-01 season with a 7-2 victory over McKendree College this afternoon at the USI Tennis Courts. The Screaming Eagles notched five wins in singles play and two more in doubles play as they finished their season with a 17-4 record.
USI finished second in the Great Lakes Valley Conference after posting a 15-2 overall record, 8-1 in the GLVC, in the fall season. The win gives the Eagles a 2-2 record for the spring season and more experience as they head into next season.
The Screaming Eagles figure to return eight of its 10
players next season, including All-Conference selections Michelle Lenahan
(Vincennes, Indiana) and Emily Blinzinger (Washington, Indiana).
Blinzinger finished the season as the team’s leader in wins (21) after dispatching of McKendree’s Kacie Wear (6-1, 6-2). She also teamed up with Lenahan, who finished the season with a 19-8 singles record (14-5 at number one singles), to produce the team’s most productive doubles tandem. The two led the squad with 16 victories at number one doubles.
University of Southern Indiana 7, McKendree College 2
1. Michelle Lenahan (USI) def. Lindsay McMillin (MC) 6-1, 6-7 (4), 7-5
2. Emily Blinzinger (USI) def. Kacie Wear (MC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Nicole Freyberger (USI) def. Tara Grandcolas (MC) 6-0, 6-7 (4), 6-3
4. Jamie Carie (USI) def. Rebecca Wenoel (MC) 6-3, 6-3
5. Gwen Gosman (USI) def. Sarah Meador (MC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Kristen Voegele (MC) def. Kristy Hite (USI) 6-3, 7-5
1. Lenahan/Blinzinger (USI) def. McMillin/Wenoel (MC) 8-1
2. Meador/Wear (MC) def. Freyberger/Jenny Ravellette (USI) 8-2
3. Carie/Gosman (USI) def. Grandcolas/Jodi Hamm (MC) 8-4
Sports Information Assistant
Programs] [Administration] [Prospective
[Athletics] [Events & News] [Foundation] [Student Affairs] [Who/Where We Are]
8600 University Boulevard
Evansville, IN 47712-3596