April 13, 2002
USI womenís tennis team edged by GVSU in spring opener
The University of Southern Indiana womenís tennis team lost to Grand Valley State University, 7-2, this afternoon at the USI Tennis Courts in Evansville, Indiana. The Screaming Eagles, who entered the match ranked ninth in the Great Lakes Region, fall to 12-3 (0-1 in the spring) on the season.
USI saw two of the five singles matches it lost go to a decisive third set. Senior Michelle Lenahan (Vincennes, Indiana) picked up USIís only singles win as she recorded a 6-1, 7-6 (4) number-one singles victory over GVSUís Marie Cameron.
Senior Gwen Gosman (Jasper, Indiana) and junior Jamie Carie (Washington, Indiana) combined to pick up USIís only doubles victory as they knocked off GVSUís Stephanie Donstan and Kim VanSprange, 8-2, in number three doubles.
The Eagles will travel to Indianapolis next weekend for their last match of the spring season. GVSU was ranked sixth in the last Great Lakes Regional rankings.
Grand Valley State University 7
@University of Southern Indiana 2
1. Michelle Lenahan (USI) def. Marie Cameron (GVSU) 6-1, 7-6 (4)
2. Dana Morgan (GVSU) def. Emily Blinzinger (USI) 7-6 (5), 6-2
3. Nikki Fairchild (GVSU) def. Nichole Freyberger (USI) 6-3, 1-6, 6-0
4. Kelen Lynch (GVSU) def. Gwen Gosman (USI) 6-4, 7-5
5. Stephanie Donston (GVSU) def. Kathleen Davis (USI) 6-4, 6-4
6. Kim VanSprange (GVSU) def. Kalie Ackerman (USI) 6-2, 6-7 (4), (10-6)
1. Fairchild/Morgan (GVSU) def. Lenahan/Blinzinger (USI) 8-4
2. Cameron/Lynch (GVSU) def. Freyberger/Davis (USI) 8-2
3. Gosman/Jamie Carie (USI) def. Donstan/VanSprange (GVSU) 8-2
USI Sports Information