May 01, 2003
USI women’s tennis falls in first round of the NCAA II Tournament
The University of Southern Indiana women’s tennis team lost a 5-0 decision to Grand Valley State University in the first round of the NCAA Division II Tournament Thursday at the Place-Midland Community Tennis Center in Midland, Michigan. The Screaming Eagles, making their first appearance in the national tournament, finish the year with a 12-6 overall record in 2002-03.
The Lakers, who had defeated the Eagles, 8-1, in April, set the tone of the match early. GVSU swept the doubles matches, winning 8-2, 8-0, and 8-3. The Eagles also were unable to get on track in singles as GVSU won the number three and four matches in straight sets.
3. Alison Koopsen (GVSU) def. Nichole Freyberger (USI) 6-3, 6-3
4. Kellen Lynch (GVSU) def. Kathleen Davis (USI) 6-2, 6-1
1. Laura Sukup/Nikki Fairchild (GVSU) def. Emily Blinzinger/Ashley Rees (USI) 8-2
2. Kellen Lynch/Marie Cameron (GVSU) def. Freyberger/Davis (USI) 8-0
3. Alison Koopsen/Kim VanSprange (GVSU) def.
Kalie Ackerman/Jamie Carie (USI) 8-3
Ray Simmons, USI Sports Information